Minimum Qualifications Qualifications/Skills:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required; advanced degree preferred
• Demonstrated qualitative and/or quantitative research abilities;
• Experience with scripting, querying or statistical programming (SQL and/or Python preferred)
• Advanced Excel experience (pivot tables, vlookups, conditionals)
• Excellent oral, written, and presentation communication skills
• Ability to communicate technical concepts and results to a non-technical audience
• Highly organized, self-directed, and curious
• Personable and positive, with a high level of integrity
• Interest in public policy and social/economic justice
Candidates with experience in any of the following are preferred:
• Python data stack (pandas, numpy, scipy)
• Advanced SQL (e.g. subqueries, window functions) or database management
• Obtaining data from API’s, web-sites, PDF’s or other difficult sources
• Data visualization or front-end software (e.g. Tableau, d3, plotly, matplotlib, bokeh)
• Comfort with linux command line tools and git/GitHub
• Analyzing social networks (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
Duties Description The Research and Analytics Department in the Office of the New York State Attorney General (OAG) is seeking candidates for a full-time Data Analyst position to explore, analyze and create new datasets for information pertinent to OAG investigations. The goal of the data analyst at the OAG is to support a range of investigations and initiatives with consistent, high quality, reproducible research that is communicated in clear and compelling ways.
As part of an innovative team housed in the Executive Division, you will work with staff and divisions through the OAG to support the OAG's major initiatives, investigations, and policy development. Our team researches and writes analytical reports garnering national attention, directs multi-million dollar grant programs, and supports the office’s major investigations. See for example our work on Opioid litigation and investigating potential fraud and manipulation in Crypto Currency Markets. Utilizing a vast collection of public and confidential information, you will work with data covering the breadth of the OAG’s purview building analytic tools to inform investigations that affect the lives of all New Yorkers.
Employing over 1,700 people across New York State, the OAG is both the “People's Lawyer” and the State's chief legal officer. The Data Analyst will support OAG work in numerous legal and regulatory arenas, including protecting the rights of investors and consumers, coordinating state-wide criminal investigations, promoting civil rights, economic and social justice, encouraging harm-reducing public health strategies, and preserving the State’s environment. The OAG also advises the Executive branch of State government and defends actions and proceedings on behalf of the State.
The OAG has a rich source of public and confidential data. The Data Analyst will work closely with both the Research and Analytics Department and other staff to support the work of the OAG.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
Exploring and analyzing data:
• Synthesizing pertinent facts and issues from large amounts of information/data
• Using standard, reproducible methodology
• Condensing large/complicated information to key points
• Communicating findings and methodology through written reports, verbal presentations and visualizations
• Creating visually compelling and informative graphics or maps
• Understanding and identifying limitations of sources or analysis
Developing or programming new databases or datasets:
• Aggregating disparate data and developing original datasets
• Identifying and cleaning “dirty” data
• Creating functions to flag/separate/segregate/filter/aggregate data
• Troubleshooting data and calculations for errors/omissions
Additional Comments OAG employees serve more than 19.85 million state residents through a wide variety of occupations. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. The Office is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to work place diversity.
Salary to be determined commensurate with experience.
PLEASE NOTE: Unless otherwise specified in the “Notes on Applying” section, the “Application Due” date associated with this posting is not the last day applications can be submitted. Applications for this position will be accepted by the hiring bureau on a rolling basis until a candidate is selected; recruitment for this position can be closed or suspended at any time. For the most current information on available position vacancies, applicants are advised to review the Office of the New York State Attorney General website (www.ag.ny.gov/job-postings) or contact the Legal Recruitment Bureau via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 212-416-8080.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
28 Liberty Street
Notes on ApplyingHOW TO APPLY
Applications are being received online. To apply, please visit our careers website: ag.ny.gov/job-postings. Reference No: EXEC/RD_DAT_NYC_6110.
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
•Cover Letter (You may address to Sandra Jefferson Grannum, Esq., Bureau Chief, Legal Recruitment)
•List of three (3) references with contact information and email addresses
• Most recent transcript (unofficial is acceptable); and
Please note: Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your application.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or you need assistance with submitting your application, please contact the Legal Recruitment Bureau via email at email@example.com or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: www.ag.ny.gov