Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Transfer Qualifications: Any permanent Plant Utilities Engineer I or employee reachable on the
Current Civil Service List.
Minimum Qualifications: must be a qualified employee of New York State and have had two years of permanent competitive, non-competitive, or labor service as a Plant Utilities Assistant
On or before the date of filing your application, you must have one of the qualifications listed below:
Either 1. Graduate of heating, HVAC, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration apprenticeship program from the U.S. Air Force;
Or 2. Must have been an enlisted machinery technician (MK) with the U.S. Coast Guard OR possession of a certificate as a Marine Engineer issued by the U.S. Coast Guard;
Or 3. Must have been an enlisted power generation equipment repairer with the U.S. Army;
Or 4. Must have been an enlisted gas turbine systems technician, submarine nuclear propulsion plant operator reactor control, utilities man, machinist mate, or engineman with the U.S. Navy;
Or 5. Must have a Merchant Mariner’s Document (MMD) and have been a qualified member of the engine department (QMED) as an oiler, fireman/water tender, refrigerating engineer or engineman with the U.S. Merchant Marine;
Or 6. Completion of a New York State Department of Labor registered apprenticeship program for stationary engineers, plant maintenance (plumber/steamfitter), HVAC Mechanic or plant maintenance (refrigeration/AC);
Or 7. Possession of a High-Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer License or Stationary Engineer License;
Or 8. A bachelor’s degree in Facilities Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Marine Engineering;
Or 9. Four years of full-time hands on experience in the maintenance and operation of commercial, industrial, institutional facility, computer applications of digital energy platforms and building analytics and/or performing diagnosis, repair of HVAC systems or boilers or auxiliary equipment;
Or 10. Four years of full-time hands on experience in a residential setting performing diagnosis, operation, maintenance repair of HVAC systems or boilers or auxiliary equipment;
Or 11. An associate’s degree in HVAC AND two years of qualifying experience as described in EITHER qualification #9 or #10 above;
Or 12. Completion of an HVAC certificate or diploma from a BOCES program (900 hours) OR completion of an approved certificate in HVAC, electrical, refrigeration, boiler operations and maintenance, or plumbing from an accredited technical school or technology college AND two years of qualifying experience as described in EITHER qualification #9 or #10 above.
Duties Description PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As a Plant Utilities Engineer 1, on an assigned shift, you would operate, maintain, troubleshoot, repair, test, calibrate, mechanical and electrical equipment providing heat, hot water, ventilation, air conditioning, electrical distribution, fire alarm and sprinkler systems in a safe and efficient manner in campus’s or residential settings.
• Operate steam and hot water boilers including lighting off, firing, cleaning and shutting down systems
• Working off work orders, responds to problem calls as directed.
• Operate and perform maintenance on HVAC systems, including Direct Digital Controls adjustment, calibrations, and modification in order to maintain comfort levels and operate in most energy efficient manner.
• Service and maintain residential heating and air-conditioning equipment, including but not limited to pumps, piping, air handling systems, dampers, and control valves.
• Conduct boiler, HVAC, and water systems testing, analyzing results and adding chemicals to maintain proper residuals in boiler and piping systems.
• Operate large central absorption, centrifugal, screw driven and hermetic chiller systems and other refrigeration equipment. Duties include starting, regulating and troubleshooting to maintain proper temperature.
• Will be required to perform operations and maintenance within an asbestos environment and/or supervise any asbestos removal project being carried out by other employees or private contractors.
• Handle various types of hazardous materials, such as refrigerants, Freon, gas, fuel oil, solvents, antifreeze, biocides, nitrates, ethanol, acids, caustic soda, regulated waste and refuse.
• Respond to incidents having potential environmental impact and/or safety concerns, such as chemical spills, oil spills and blowouts and may be called upon to implement evacuation plans in emergency situations
• Work in confined space situations using personal protective equipment and supervise others working in confined space using personal protective equipment
• May requires daily travel within the district, as well as some travel within NY State to assist other districts with special projects
• Candidate will be trained in the operation and maintenance procedures as related to Asbestos Containing Materials.
• Oversee outside contractors performing work within the Campus setting.
• Supervise Plant Utility Assistants and others working within the Plant Utilities Engineers field of expertise.
Additional Comments PREFERED REQUIREMENTS:
• Working knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the trade or trades to which assigned
• Working knowledge of the methods, materials and tools used in making mechanical and routine electrical repairs to heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, refrigeration, plumbing, pneumatic control systems and direct digital and other microprocessor controlled systems.
• Working knowledge of safety standards and procedures
• Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
• Will be required to train and supervise others.
• Will be required to plan and lay out work, develop time and material lists for projects assigned
• Will be required to read and interpret plans, codes, diagrams, architectural blueprints and specifications.
• Basic computer skills preferred
• Valid NYS driver’s License
HOW TO APPLY:
• Download the examination application NYS-APP-3 #20-450 & #20-451 Application Form/Supplemental Questionnaire at http://www.cs.ny.gov/announ/applications.cfm; or
• Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request NYS-APP-3 #20-450 & #20-451 form; or
• Obtain NYS-APP-3 #20-450 & #20-451 form from a State agency or facility personnel/business office; or
• Request NYS-APP-3 #20-450 & #20-451 form by calling the Department of Civil Service in the Albany area at 518 457 2487; or toll free at 1 877 697 5627.
Your completed supplemental questionnaire will be the only basis for rating your training, education and experience.
Failure to complete the supplemental questionnaire correctly may result in disqualification. If disqualified, candidates must wait six months to re-apply.
The training, education and experience information provided by candidates on the supplemental questionnaire will be rated according to the requirements of the title. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your answers to the supplemental questionnaire will be the only basis for your score. If you need more space, attach additional 8 ½ x 11 sheets, following the same format used on the application/supplemental questionnaire. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application/supplemental questionnaire.
It is essential that you describe your training, education and experience as completely as possible. Ambiguity, vagueness or omissions on the supplemental questionnaire will not be decided in the candidate’s favor. The information you provide in the supplemental questionnaire is subject verification. You may be required to furnish written verification of the education, experience, certification or licensure claimed. False statements or lack of verification may result in a lower score, removal from the eligible list or termination of employment.
Your score must be 70 or higher in order to pass. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime veterans’ and Civil Service Law Section 85-A credits to your final score.
Agencies will score supplemental questionnaires periodically throughout the year when additional eligible candidates are needed to fill vacancies. Once added to an agency eligible list, candidates will have a two-year period of eligibility for appointment from that list. You can re-apply as frequently as every six months.
RETEST POLICY: Qualified candidates may file as frequently as 6 months, but a new application/supplemental questionnaire is required each time.
Important: The Department of Civil Service and other state agencies may communicate with you through email correspondence. This may include the notification of your examination results and canvassing you for interest in appointment. It will be important for you to keep your email address, phone number and mailing address current by logging into https://www.cs.ny.gov/home/myaccount.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit cover letter and résumé by September 4, 2019 to:
2445 State Route 30
Tupper Lake, NY 12986
Phone: (518) 359-4150
Fax: (518) 359-4161
Please reference the above EOA # 19-141 in all correspondence.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.