Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications • BS or MS in relevant fields (e.g., Data Science, Computer Science, Economics, Statistics, Mathematics);
• Public or private (non-profit, industry or consulting) sector experience leading a team of data analysts that have implemented models yielding significant improvements
• Expertise in the use of statistical and analytic modeling software and data extraction and visualization tools (SPSS modeler, SAS, STATA, Python, R, Tableau or similar products)
• Capable of teaching others
• Experience with solution architecture, design, development and understanding of data life cycle: data acquisition, data quality management, data governance, machine learning and metadata management
• Creativity and innovation skills, with the ability to compare and analyze different tools and technologies and make appropriate recommendations
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Strong project management skills and demonstrated ability to delegate
• Strong communication skills, with the ability to build, articulate and present new ideas to technical and non-technical audiences.
• Relationship skills - experience collaborating with strategic and/or operational leaders, preferably in developing, implementing and assessing analytics-driven initiatives.
• A passion for public service, teamwork, skill building and the effective, fair treatment of taxpayers.
Duties Description The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance is an internationally recognized leader in tax administration. Our mission is to efficiently collect tax revenues in support of state services and programs while acting with integrity and fairness in the administration of the tax laws of New York State.
As a national and global leader in tax administration, we recognize and understand the value of data. Annually, we:
• process over 26 million tax returns for over 40 different tax types;
• collect over $126 billion dollars in revenues for New York State and over 70 different localities;
• issue over 10 million refunds;
• collect over a billion unique data points through our returns processing systems;
• receive third-party data from dozens of external sources; and
• generate substantial data from our operations and interactions with taxpayers.
Our Data Analytics group is essential to ensuring that we effectively and efficiently harness this data to improve tax policy, combat tax fraud, promote voluntary compliance with the tax law, further modernize enforcement operations and enhance taxpayer services in every way possible.
As a data-driven organization, we are searching for an experienced leader in data analytics to drive a broad re-evaluation of our existing capabilities to determine how best to leverage our current data assets and analytic capabilities towards future successes.
The Director of Data Analytics will report to the Assistant Commissioner of Data Analytics and will be responsible for overseeing the Tax Analytics Solution Center, which is comprised of approximately 22 staff members with varying backgrounds in statistical modeling, accounting and data analytics. The successful candidate will be charged with building on our current datasets and models with an eye towards integration with processes and reporting. In leading our data analytics team, we anticipate improved operational decision making and efficiencies in our promotion of voluntary compliance and effective tax administration.
• Strategy for and execution of analytics-based solutions across key business functions
• Partner with business functions (e.g., audit, collections, processing, taxpayer services) across the Department to understand strategic needs and translate them into analytic use cases
• Provide direction to staff evaluating current approaches to ensure they best achieve goals
• Lead staff in developing and preparing a consistent set of operational reports for leadership that reflect established standards and metrics
• Review and suggest improvements to current or planned systems and processes
• Perform data extraction, aggregation, and quality checks from multiple sources and tables in support of trend identification and root cause analysis
• Provide expertise on how to properly store, analyze, and interpret data
• Lead idea generation and design of campaigns across analytics use cases and manage key performance indicators for end-to-end delivery
• Lead efforts for training data analytics staff
Additional Comments The successful candidate must be fully compliant with all Federal, State and Local Tax Laws, which includes being current with their Tax Return Filings.
Fingerprinting is required as part of the background check prior to appointment.
Travel: May vary depending upon assignment.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingHOW TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter and resume to the following mailbox: Human.Resources@tax.ny.gov. Please include the following reference code in the subject line: OTPA-2019-02