330 Old Niskayuna Road
Minimum Qualifications This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited college or university, plus two (2) years of full-time experience in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance Administration, or related fields.
Associate’s Degree from a regionally accredited college or university, plus four (4) years of full-time experience in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance Administration, or related fields.
Six (6) years of full-time, progressively responsible experience in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance Administration or related fields. At least two (2) full-time years of the qualifying experience must have been at the supervisory level.*
Must be at least 18 years old and have a High School Diploma or GED.
Must be able to read and write in English.
Must be familiar with and be able to independently use commonly utilized software programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
Must possess a valid driver's license to operate a motor vehicle in the State of New York. Must report any change in driver’s license status to the State Human Resources Office (MNHS).
May be required to acquire and maintain a military driver’s license to operate military vehicles and equipment in accordance with NGB standards to include medical evaluation requirements – current and as amended.
Required to have or successfully complete within 90 days of receiving computer access, all training associated with assigned data systems such as SFS and the Statewide Learning Management System (SLMS) and/or other computer training as related to duty assignments. Should related regulations, procedures and requirements change, additional training and/or certifications may be required.
In accordance with NGB standards, will be required to obtain and maintain a favorable background investigation, and have an appropriate clearance to allow access to computer networks and restricted areas to determine suitability, loyalty, and trustworthiness. Minimally a National Agency Check with Inquiry (NACI) will be completed - dependent on current regulation, a SECRET clearance may be required.
* Other combinations of education and work experience, including military, may be considered, however, candidate must demonstrate direct relevance to the job duties and abilities noted above and combine to at least six (6) years of full-time experience.
At all times, the employee MUST maintain minimum standards in accordance with current , and as amended, agency, statutory and NGB requirements and directives; failure to do so will subject the individual to disciplinary action, including possible termination.
NOTE: Position standards illustrate the nature, extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the position described. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by the incumbent. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Position Standards were written. Please contact State Human Resources Management for any further information regarding the position requirements.
Duties Description This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Incumbent of this position works within the Directorate of Management and Budget. The Administrative Assistant works under the general direction and supervision of professional and/or administrative staff, program managers and executive staff who establish work priorities and determine assignments. Incumbents are expected to determine the best methods and procedures to accomplish tasks and to independently produce a completed quality product with limited guidance.
Administrative Assistants provide professional administrative and staff support to executives, program managers and staff, boards, or commissions by managing business services, budgeting, and/or personnel for an organization or program, conducting special studies and research projects, and managing office and support activities.
Administrative Assistants represent their assigned program and its officials and staff in the provision of answers, exchange of information, assistance and advice, and clarification of policies and procedures. Administrative Assistants must employ verbal and written communication skills while interacting with a wide variety of people to include executive and management staff, co-workers, program and administrative staff, representatives of businesses and organizations, and the general public.
Administrative Assistants may provide functional supervision over certain work activities and programs as well as unit subordinate staff. Daily office operations are often overseen by the Administrative Assistant.
The position performs responsibilities in accordance with all current and amended, DMNA policies and procedures, federal and state statutes, and where applicable, the contract bargaining agreement and requirements of the National Guard Bureau (NGB), specifically the Master Cooperative Agreement (MCA) and supporting regulations. The position may report to state and/or federal supervisory personnel. This position is management/ confidential and is not covered under labor contract provisions within the DMNA.
Administrative Assistant duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Internal reconciliation of expenditures related to DMNA's federal and state accounts. This includes working within the SFS system to create budget journals etc.
• Administration of all aspects of the Procure to Pay process.
• Administration, reconciliation and review of agency credit card Mast
• Communicating with agency fiscal and program managers and the BSC in relation to issues involved with the fiscal administration of the agency.
• Make and track agency revenue deposits.
• Creating status reports with regard to all budgets overseen by Budget and Finance.
• Oversee process associated with the accounts payable function.
• Will be cross trained to use a state credit card for purchasing in the event of a State Active Duty Emergency.
• Represents executive and management staff at meetings, hearings, and conferences and on committees.
• Administers communications by preparing and keeping track of and responding to correspondence and other communications.
• Prepares/drafts various written materials including correspondence, memorandums and reports.
• Establishes, prepares and designs office procedures and forms.
• Compiles data and prepares reports and recommendations about work problems.
• Develops, implements and manages record-keeping systems and controls.
• Prepares reports and makes recommendations on data findings.
• May be assigned to supervise and effectively administer daily office operations.
• Reconciles expenditures related to the Master Cooperative Agreement (MCA) between NGB and DMNA, to include utilization of the State Financial System (SFS).
• Creates and records formal requests relating to the reimbursement of agency expenditures and purchases.
• Communicates with agency fiscal and program managers and the New York State Business Services Center (BSC) in the processing and resolution of reimbursements.
• Creates and maintains detailed reports regarding the status of past and current year reimbursements.
• Where applicable, facilitates emergency purchases utilizing the state credit card.
• Evaluates proposed policies, legislation, position papers, and management proposals and prepares written analysis and recommendations describing impact and potential benefits and problems.
• Represents unit/supervisor at meetings as required.
• Will complete and attend training as required.
• Will require periodic travel using various modes of transportation.
• Periodic overtime may be required.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to perform tasks independently without supervision; and work independently or with other individuals in a project/team setting in accordance with supervisory guidance and direction.
• Ability to interact well with different groups of people, including co-workers and management comprised of both Federal and State personnel.
• Ability to design forms for the collection of information.
• Knowledge of agency programs, policies, and procedures.
• General knowledge of state legislative practices and procedures.
• Knowledge of Federal, State and local agency operations and policies.
• Must have strong organizational skills.
• Experience in multi-tasking and prioritizing multiple deadlines.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to prepare written material in a clear and concise form.
• Ability to train and supervise subordinates.
• Ability to read and write in English.
• Demonstrate reliability and trustworthiness.
• Performs general office duties such as filing, scanning, faxing, etc.
• Operate office equipment such as computers, photocopiers, fax machines, etc.
• Other job duties as assigned.
Additional Comments This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Notes on ApplyingThis position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
To be considered for interview, submit a cover letter and resume. In e-mail subject line and cover letter indicate the title, location, vacancy announcement number of the position for which you are applying. Ensure to clearly note how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Please be certain to note your specific license or certification to meet requirements.
If you are a former public employee retired within New York State currently receiving benefits, indicate this and the name of the retirement system in your cover letter.
Cover letter and resume may be submitted via E-mail (preferred method), FAX, or Mail. ENSURE TO COPY E-MAIL ADDRESS EXACTLY.
E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
FAX to: (518) 786-4969
For Questions: (518) 786-4830
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs
State Human Resources Management
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Latham, New York 12110-3514
ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE RECEIVED IN STATE HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT (MNHS) BY AUGUST 27, 2019.
VAGUENESS AND OMISSIONS WILL NOT BE RESOLVED IN YOUR FAVOR.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
ALL CURRENT PERMANENT DMNA STATE EMPLOYEES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS WILL BE INTERVIEWED TO EVALUATE THEIR QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE, ABILITY TO MEET THE NEEDS OF THE DIVISION AND ABILITY TO PERFORM THE DUTIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION. THE REQUIREMENT TO PROVE QUALIFICATION SHALL REST WITH THE EMPLOYEE.
ALL OTHER CANDIDATES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR INTERVIEW TO EVALUATE THEIR QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE IN RELATION TO THE DUTIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION.