Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must have a High School diploma or a High School Equivalency diploma AND the ability to perform moderate to heavy lifting of children AND New York State certification as a Teaching Assistant or be eligible to obtain such certificate within one (1) year of employment**.
Preference may be given to candidates who have the following:
• Experience working with severe to profoundly disabled and/or blind/sensory impaired children.
• Possession of, or willing to secure, and Article 19A (CDL) school bus driver certification.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Special Education Assistant position in the New York State School for the Blind. Under the direction of an Instructor, the incumbent of this position will perform duties that are instructional in nature and deliver direct care to students. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Work with individual students or groups of students on special instructional projects;
• Provide the Instructor with information about students to assist in the development of appropriate learning experiences;
• Assist students in the use of available instructional resources and assist the Instructor in the development of instructional materials;
• Provide appropriate care, including hygiene needs for medically fragile students;
• Assist in instructional programs in arts, crafts, music and similar subjects; and
• Assist in related instructional work as required.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This will be a permanent appointment, consisting of 183 days during the school year, 31 days during the summer, and an additional five days for program-related activities, for a total of 219 days. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. The work schedule for this position includes hours of Monday through Friday, 6:45am–2:45pm or 7:00am–3:00pm, depending on classroom assignment.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $37,612-$38,905 with annual performance advances.
**Employees who have not obtained certification within one (1) year of employment will terminated.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 4, 2019 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (BAT-345/00294) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Ave. Room 528EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 4, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (BAT-345/00294) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.