Office of Information Technology Services
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 3.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Information Technology Specialist 3 Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Information Technology Specialist 3: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in any of the following titles: Chief Computer Operator, Information Technology Specialist 3 (Data Communications),Information Technology Specialist 3 (Database), Information Technology Specialist 3 (Systems Programming), Information Technology Specialist 4, Information Technology Specialist 4 (Operations) or Mapping Technologist 3.
Section 52.6 Transfer to Information Technology Specialist 3: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated SG-21 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is seeking candidates for an Information Technology Specialist 3 position in the Office of Information Technology Services (ITS). This Unit is responsible for fulfilling the information processing needs of offices throughout NYSED. The incumbent of this position will work as a member of the application development group and be responsible for the analysis and development of new Information Technology (IT) solutions to support the business needs of NYSED. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Provide general support and oversight for the TEACH system, as well as other IT initiatives;
• Develop, test and maintain enterprise web applications using Java J2EE;
• Collaborate with program office staff to understand their business requirements;
• Revise systems to accommodate changes to laws, regulations, policies, and NYSED’s technology infrastructure;
• Review business practices and make recommendations for system enhancements that result in improved quality and efficiency;
• Ensure systems developed meet security standards and conform to security best practices;
• Develop and execute comprehensive system test plans and make corrective actions, as needed;
• Assure systems and procedures are appropriately documented, meet Department standards, and follow generally accepted IT practices;
• Exhibit knowledge and practical experience with JAVA, JSP/Servlets, Struts and Spring frameworks, Oracle databases, PL/SQL, SQL, and LDAP and associate protocols; and
• Supervise and mentor Information Technology staff.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $92,693 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 6, 2019 to email@example.com (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-391/01753) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 6, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-391/01753) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.