Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Minimum Qualifications Required for Permanent Appointment:
Current New York State employee with one year or more of permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service as an Assistant Land Surveyor 3.
Minimum Qualifications for Provisional Appointment Pending Exam:
Promotion: one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant Land Surveyor 2
Open Competitive Minimum Qualification for Provisional Appointment Pending Exam:
Four years of experience in land surveying* that included conducting measurements of space, water, land and structures to determine boundaries, areas, elevations, alignments, volumes, and locations AND performing evaluation and analysis of field data and researching public and private land records;
An associate degree or higher in Cartography, Civil Engineering, Civil Engineering Technology, Surveying Engineering Technology, Forestry, Forest Technology, Land Surveying*, Geography, Geographic Information Science, Geomatics Engineering, Geospatial Science, or Spatial Science AND two years of experience as described in Option 1.
**In order to be considered qualifying, your land surveying experience must have included experience in both the technical field and office aspects of the profession. You must have:
1. Technical field experience must have included measurements of space, water, land and structures to determine boundaries, areas, elevations, alignments, and locations;
2. Office experience must have included evaluation and analysis of field data and research of public and private land records.
Duties Description Under the direction and supervision of the Land Surveyor, the incumbent will:
• Conduct field surveys of State property lines.
• Review hydrographic, topographic and engineering surveys.
• Inspects and approves the work of private surveyors retained by the State or an abutting private owner to survey State property lines of lands to be acquired.
• May testify in court as an expert witness in cases involving land surveying; reviews.
• Approves and signs survey maps to be filed.
• Create maps, search titles and old records for survey and title information.
• Devise survey computations and maintain survey records.
• Assist in the maintenance of records, review maps, and prepare consultant contracts.
• Record research assist in field inspections and reviews and perform property boundary surveys with applicable survey principles and practices for the determination of the State’s title boundaries and subdivision of State lands.
• Maintain inventory of State-owned real property; including electronic document management, scanning of documents and maps, indexing scanned images and maintain folder structures for scanned images.
• Assists in the training of subordinate land surveyors.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.