Office of Information Technology Services
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming). If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 52.6 Transfer to Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming): Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-16 or above eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
• Knowledge and practical experience programming in COBOL, JAVA, and SQL.
• Knowledge and experience with database structures including UNISYS KEYEDIO II.
• Knowledge and experience with reporting tools such as EZSPEC and COGNOS.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is seeking candidates for an Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming) position in the Office of Information Technology Services (ITS). The incumbent of this position will be responsible for technical programming support of NYSED data systems. This will require an individual with diverse IT skills who has an interest and the ability to perform technical system enhancements on a variety of operating environments. This position will require the willingness and ability to adapt quickly. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Ability to work on a UNISYS mainframe and demonstrate proficiency with COBOL programming, use of CANDE and WFL; Future development will require experience with SQL;
• Analyze the impact of proposed modifications on existing components of the system and implement the needed modifications;
• Participate in systems analysis discussions, including requirements definition, and prototyping of proposed solutions;
• Coordinate with the Statewide Financial System (SFS) project manager regarding changes driven by Statewide Financial System (SFS);
• Develop and execute application test plans; Identify and troubleshoot system errors, as well as implement the necessary solutions;
• Ensure that systems and procedures are properly documented, meet Department standards, and follow generally accepted IT practices and security standards; and
• Develop project plans for system enhancements and provide project status reports to project stakeholders.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $71,980 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 6, 2019 to email@example.com (Email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-392/51804) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 6, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org (Email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-392/51804) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.