Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Current Division of Homeland Security & Emergency Services employee with permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service as a Disaster Preparedness Program Representative 1 and interested in reassignment; OR current New York State employee with one year or more of permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service as a Disaster Preparedness Program Representative 1; OR current New York State employee with one year or more of permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service in a position allocated to a Grade 14 or above and eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
Provisional Pending Examination OR individuals with current 55b/c eligibility who meet the following qualifications are encouraged to apply:
Either 1. four years of emergency management experience as listed below;*
Or 2. a specialized bachelor’s degree as listed below;**
Or 3. any bachelor’s degree AND one year of emergency management experience as listed below;*
Or 4. a specialized associate’s degree as listed below** AND two years of emergency management experience as listed below;*
Or 5. any associate’s degree AND three years of emergency management experience as listed below.*
*QUALIFYING Emergency management experience must include two or more of the following areas:
• Coordination and implementation of emergency management and disaster preparedness programs.
• Preparation or modification of disaster plans.
• Preparation, modification, presentation of disaster educational training and/or exercises.
• Gather and analyze information to produce briefings or reports or to make timely and effective incident response decisions.
• Represent an agency or organization in an Emergency Operations Center or leadership position on the Incident Command System.
• Manage or supervise logistics operations during a major emergency or disaster by overseeing the distribution or staging of equipment and supplies.
**Specialized Degree Areas: Homeland Security, Disaster or Emergency Management, Emergency Preparedness, Emergency or Public Safety Services, Disaster Resilience, Crisis, Emergency and/or Risk Management, Fire and Emergency Services, National Security, Security Studies, Disaster Science, Critical Infrastructure, Business Continuity, System Safety and Security, Business Organizational Security Management, or Public Administration. A master’s degree in one of the areas above will substitute for an additional year of experience.
Non-Qualifying Experience: The performance of only EMT, firefighter, police officer, or other first responder activity is NOT considered qualifying experience. Experience as a correction officer is NOT considered qualifying experience.
If interested applying using your 55 b/c status, please provide a copy of your current 55 b/c eligibility letter. If this is not provided with you resume you will not be considered for this position.
Duties Description Under the supervision and direction of the OEM Director or his/her designee, duties will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Assist with the Fleet Management activities.
• Assist with the development of policies and procedures for Headquarter Operations.
• Research analyze and report on program activities.
• Make logistics arrangements for Headquarters.
• Write, review and implement emergency operational procedures, plans and communications.
• Assist with Headquarter facility activities, controls and management.
• Assist in assessing the training needs of state and local agencies and other organizations that support the state's emergency management efforts.
• Help coordinate the State Radiological Emergency Preparedness (REP) efforts to provide county and local governments with relevant and executable planning, training and exercise guidance necessary to prevent, protect, mitigate, respond and recover from incidents involving commercial nuclear power plants.
Work schedule may vary based on operational needs. Travel may be required.
Additional Comments NOTE: Support of operations during times of emergency and disaster from State Emergency Operations Center (EOC), state field offices and/or local deployments may be required, which would result in a change and/or increase in working hours, locations and/or duties.
**Work schedule may vary based on operational need.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.