28 Hill Street
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be licensed and currently registered to practice nursing in New York State, or possess a limited permit to practice nursing in New York State. (You must obtain your New York State license within one year of the date of appointment or action will be taken to remove you from the position.)
a bachelor's or higher degree in one of the areas listed below* AND two years of professional clinical nursing experience, including at least one year as described below **
30 college credits in the areas listed below* IN ADDITION TO an associate's degree in nursing or completion of a three-year nursing program (attach a copy of your college transcript(s) to your OC-APP)
AND three years of professional clinical nursing experience, including at least one year as described below **
* acceptable areas include nursing, health care administration, public administration in a health care area, public health, community mental health, community mental health counseling, psychology, sociology, biology, social work or human services. The 30 credits may include up to two statistics courses. Courses/degrees in physical education, recreation therapy, English, history, math, anthropology, languages, etc. are NOT acceptable.
** one year of experience in providing direct services to individuals diagnosed with mental illness, developmental disabilities, or alcohol or substance abuse in a COMMUNITY SETTING, e.g., a halfway house, visiting nurse, or a community clinic. SUBSTITUTION: A master's degree in community mental health may be substituted for this experience only.
Duties Description POSITION DESCRIPTION:
This Community Mental Health Nurse works within the framework of a treatment team providing nursing services to individuals diagnosed developmental disabilities and their caretakers/families. They visit the individual's home to identify factors in the social, psychological and physical environment which may contribute to this individual's disability; make recommendations for emergency or continuing care; suggest alternative treatment plans; teach caretakers/family methods of dealing with emergencies; and provide advice on the availability of medical, social and housing facilities for the individual in the community. They intervene and administer emergency treatment; engage in treatment modalities such as health teaching, individual and group psychotherapy, family therapy or milieu therapy as appropriate; work with appropriate community agencies as necessary and insure a coordinated team treatment plan. They may supervise and counsel paraprofessional and professional personnel in health-related activities and participate in the staff development and teaching program of Broome DDSOO.T
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Function in the role of Community Mental Health Nurse.
• Other duties as assigned. Specific duties discussed during interview including description of case load and travel involved. Caseload will include Individuals residing in State Operated sites.
Additional Comments Please note that starting salary for this title reflects the geographic pay differential. $66,671 - $82,785 - Posted Hiring Salary includes the sum of the statutory hiring rate for PS&T Grade 19 ($59,671), and Geographic Differential ($7,000). Geographic Differential added to the job rate ($75,785) for the PS&T Grade 19.
• For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
• In order to be eligible for appointment and to maintain employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of the Federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program). If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program), you may be terminated from your employment.
• OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
• Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and be able to perform the essential functions of their positions with or without reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that he or she needs a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Central Office at (518) 402-7644 or Email at Affirmative.Action@opwdd.ny.gov to obtain information and RA forms.
• If you are employed by state government you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on Direct Loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments have been made under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice.
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION PROCEDURE:
Submit Response to Posting form, cover letter, and résumé by August 29, 2019, to:
Broome DDSOO Human Resources Office
249 Glenwood Road
Binghamton, NY 13905
Please reference the EOA #190829A in all correspondence.