1257 Trumansburg Road
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be:
• Permanent service as a Habilitation Specialist 1, OR;
• Eligible to 70.1 transfer to a Habilitation Specialist 1 title, OR;
• Reachable on the current Civil Service List for Habilitation Specialist 1.
• Provisional appointment may be considered. To be eligible for provisional appointment candidates must have a bachelor’s or higher level degree in a human services field* AND one year of direct care or clinical experience where your primary focus is providing services to people with developmental disabilities.
OR, be a qualified employee of the New York State Office for People with Developmental Disabilities and have had one year of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service in a clinical or direct care position AND you must also possess a bachelor’s degree or higher in a human services field.
** Substitution: A master’s degree in a human services field* may be substituted for the degree and experience described above.*For the purpose of these examinations, a degree in a human services field includes the professional disciplines of audiology, community mental health, nursing, nutrition, occupational therapy, physical therapy, psychology, rehabilitation counseling, social work, speech/language pathology, and therapeutic recreation (including concentrations in art, creative arts, dance, drama, music, or physical education.) Also included are related academic disciplines associated with the study of human behavior (e.g., gerontology, human services, sociology, speech communication); or human skills development (e.g., counseling, education, human development.) Examples of non-qualifying degrees include but are not limited to: criminal justice, political science, liberal arts, and business.
Duties Description POSITION DESCRIPTION:
Work with individuals with developmental disabilities to help them lead richer lives. You would instruct and guide these individuals in developing basic learning and self-help skills, as well as communication, community, and prevocational skills. In addition, helping individuals reach their optimal level of functioning by assisting in goal setting, assisting in the development and evaluation of habilitation plans consistent with Service Plans, and monitoring and recording individual progress. May also instruct and observe direct care staff in employing appropriate strategies with individuals consistent with their habilitation plans.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop program and plan activities for assigned groups.
• Review ongoing performance data.
• Provide and/or assist staff in carrying out services and activities.
• Provides guidance and training to direct care staff in the implementation of goals and service plans; and may supervise direct care staff in implementing those plans.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Specifics of assignments to be discussed during interview.
Additional Comments Please note:
• For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
• In order to be eligible for appointment and to maintain employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of the Federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program). If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program), you may be terminated from your employment.
• OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
• Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and be able to perform the essential functions of their positions with or without reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that he or she needs a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Central Office at (518) 402-7644 or Email at Affirmative.Action@opwdd.ny.gov to obtain information and RA forms.
• If you are employed by state government you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on Direct Loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments have been made under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice.
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION PROCEDURE:
Submit Response to Posting form, cover letter, and résumé by August 29, 2019, to:
Broome DDSOO Human Resources Office
249 Glenwood Road
Binghamton, NY 13905
Please reference the EOA #190829B in all correspondence.