Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Preferred Qualifications:
At least five years of experience working for a company in the life insurance sector, or at least ten years of experience working in life insurance regulation; professional qualifications as risk manager, underwriter, claims specialist or legal officer; and demonstrated ability to manage large teams and multiple projects simultaneously.
This is an appointment to a position in the exempt jurisdictional class. As such, the incumbent of this position would serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority.
Duties Description The Department of Financial Services (DFS) is seeking candidates to fill the position of Deputy Superintendent for Life Bureau in the Insurance Division. Under the general direction and supervision of the Executive Deputy Superintendent for the Insurance Division, the incumbent of this position will function with great independence and serve as a valued member of the Superintendent’s team in the following capacities:
• Provides the Superintendent and Executive Deputy Superintendent with advice on issues related to the life insurance industry and regulatory process.
• Makes recommendations that are relevant to the issues based on a thorough understanding of the short? and long?range impact.
• Oversees the activities and operations of the Life Business Unit, with responsibilities including oversight of the licensing, National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) accreditation, and examination and regulation of all life insurers and related entities.
• Presides at or participates in meetings and conferences with top management of DFS, insurers, representatives of industry organizations, the NAIC, other governmental agencies and the public.
• Ensures that the programs of the Governor and the agency are effectively and expeditiously implemented.
• Acts for and in place of the Superintendent or Executive Deputy Superintendent as necessary.
Additional Comments Please note that positions located within the New York City metropolitan area, as well as Suffolk, Nassau, Rockland, and Westchester Counties, are also eligible to receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment.
Appointment to this position is pending Division of Budget approval to fill.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than September 3, 2019, to the email address listed below. Please include (Box DepSupLIFE-07200) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
New York State Department of Financial Services
Office of Human Resources Management
One Commerce Plaza, Suite 301
Albany, New York 12257
Fax: (518) 402-5071
Please note that not all applicants may be scheduled for an interview.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job and the accommodation would not constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency.