Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Possession of a Bachelor’s degree or license to practice as a Registered Nurse in New York State; AND two years of experience* working in any of the following, or combination of the following: a New York State Office of Mental Health, Office for People With Developmental Disabilities, Office of Children and Family Services, Department of Health, State Education Department or Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services licensed or supervised facility covered under the jurisdiction of the NYS Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs; investigating complaints and allegations of abuse and neglect of persons receiving care from a facility or provider covered under the jurisdiction of the NYS Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs; a medical facility; a child protective services organization; or as a professional advocate or service provider in the field of rehabilitation, developmental disabilities, or mental health; OR a Master’s degree in a human services or health-related field may be substituted for one year of the required experience as described above for all titles.
Note: Experience obtained working in state agencies or programs outside of New York State that are similar or equivalent to the agencies listed above may be considered qualifying experience for all titles.
Duties Description Under the general supervision of a senior level staff, the Quality Care Facility Review Specialist 1 may perform the following duties:
• Review, process and /or investigate cases received from health care providers, clients, families, advocates, and other agencies or groups regarding individuals served by the mental hygiene services and children and family services delivery systems.
• Attend Medical Review Board meetings as assigned and following through with further investigations or recommendations by the Board.
• Participate in systemic studies and prepare resulting from these studies.
• Conduct on-site investigations into allegations of the abuse/maltreatment of children and adults in operated/licensed facilities in accordance with the policies and procedures established by the Justice Center.
• Provide independent inspection and monitoring of facilities, various community residences, and programs.
• Investigate deaths occurring in the mental hygiene system to ascertain the appropriateness of medical and psychiatric care.
• Conduct training and outreach activities for health care providers, volunteers, advocates, family members and other interested parties regarding Justice Center activities, functions, and programs.
Additional Comments The New York State Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs (Justice Center) is charged with protecting over one million New Yorkers under the care or jurisdiction of six state agencies. The following list outlines several of the Justice Center’s key responsibilities:
• Advocate on behalf of individuals with disabilities and provide oversight of quality of care.
• Operate a centralized, statewide 24-hour hotline and incident reporting system staffed by trained personnel.
• Operate a statewide register that contains the names of individuals found responsible for egregious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect.
• Centralize and perform functions relating to criminal history background checks.
• Investigate serious allegations of abuse and neglect.
• Prosecute criminal acts of abuse and neglect.
• Analyze abuse patterns and trends in order to prevent future occurrences.
NOTE: You are advised that should you accept a job offer with this agency, you may be required to be fingerprinted and pay for the cost of the fingerprinting fee.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume to email@example.com detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.