Minimum Qualifications A bachelor’s degree or higher in Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Finance, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering or in a closely related field, and two years of professional investment experience.
Qualifying experience includes:
Investment-related duties reflecting a fundamental knowledge of the financial markets and an understanding of the economic forces that impact the financial markets, or analysis of financial or economic data; investment risk or portfolio management; investment operations; investment compliance, investment auditing, investment accounting, and quantitative analysis.
Commercial real estate investing (investment acquisitions or asset management) or commercial mortgage lending, specifically involving the financing, investing in, leasing of, or asset management of large commercial real estate assets (generally properties worth $10 million or more);
Non-qualifying experience includes: Activities applicable to small commercial properties (e.g., two to four family homes), the sale or brokerage of single-family homes, or experience marketing or selling financial service products to individuals, as performed by financial advisors and stockbrokers.
Substitutions: Successful completion of all three levels of the CFA exam may substitute for two years of experience; a Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) designation, a Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM), a Member of the Appraisal Institute (MAI), or a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) may substitute for one year of experience; and a master’s degree in Business Administration concentrating in Finance or a closely related concentration may substitute for two years of experience.
Duties Description The incumbent will provide operational and analytical support to investment-related departments (Public Equities, Fixed Income, Real Estate, Private Equity, and Risk Management) related to trade and capital call processing, cash management, accounting and reconciliations, investment rates of return calculations and attribution analysis, proxy voting, monthly and quarterly investment reporting and compliance.
The duties of the TRS Investment Officer 1/Trainee include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Trade processing and accounting related to internally managed investment portfolios
- Coordinating and monitoring investment portfolio reconciliation, reporting and accounting for externally managed investment portfolios including public market portfolios, as well as real estate and alternative investments
- Cash processing and other activities requiring interaction with the custodial bank
- Operational compliance functions of a statutory and regulatory nature
- Overseeing and accounting for the securities lending program
- Calculating and/or reviewing investment performance at portfolio, asset class and total fund levels
- Analyzing investment related activities, fees, valuations and attribution
- Working with investment staff/investment reporting requirements
- Supporting data governance initiatives, policies, procedures and structure
- Quarterly board investment reporting including performance, asset allocation and proxy reports
- Conducting research on investment related concepts and topics
Additional Comments Preferred Qualifications:
- Commitment to providing exceptional customer service
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to effectively work within a deadline driven environment
- Ability to multi-task and manage changing priorities
- Strong presentation skills
- Experience and understanding of Private and Public Market investments
- Experience interpreting GASB/FASB statements
- Experience reading/interpreting legal documents
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and familiarity with Microsoft Access
- Industry experience with Investment Analytics, Trading, Portfolio Management or Investment Research
- Experience with attribution analysis
- Certifications – CPA, CFA, CIPM, etc.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingIf you are interested in applying for this position please apply at the following link: http://nystrs.peopleadmin.com/postings/3158
Please note that resumes will not be accepted as a substitute, in whole or part, for a completed application.