New York State Library
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Librarian (Reference).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Senior Librarian (Reference) or Librarian 1 eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Office of Cultural Education is seeking candidates for a Senior Librarian (Reference) position in the New York State Library’s Reference Services Unit. The Reference Services Unit provides reference and instructional services to a diverse public and selects, creates, manages and assesses information or research resources, tools and services. Under the direction of the Associate Librarian (Reference), the incumbent will be responsible for performing a variety of duties related to library instruction and programming. Duties of this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Develop and coordinate Library online instructional services and programming for distance learners, including webinars, program-based instruction, workshops, and orientations;
• Lead the formulation, production and advancement of e-learning initiatives, which include investigating learning management systems for planning, delivering and managing learning events, such as online instruction, and virtual classroom;
• Conduct workshops and provide online bibliographic instruction in the effective use of Library resources in all formats and by integrating new and emerging technologies and multi-media e-learning tools into the instruction process;
• Design, create and facilitate the use of library online instructional materials, tutorials, bibliographies, and subject-related research guides;
• Develop assessment methods to evaluate the effectiveness of Library online instructional services and programming;
• Manage the Library’s Facebook page, and serve on the Library’s NOVELny team;
• Provide reference and information services in all subjects to a diverse public in-person, by telephone and via email;
• Provide complex and in-depth research searches for subject-specific inquires using print, microform and online resources; and
• Develop the Library’s collection in an assigned area by identifying and suggesting materials in a variety of formats.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions may change an appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. The work schedule for this position includes flexible hours of Monday through Friday (8:30 or 9:00am – 5:00pm) with rotating Saturdays.
This position may be filled as a traineeship. The salary above applies to candidates appointed to Senior Librarian (Reference), SG-19. The hiring rate for candidates appointed to Librarian 1 starts at $48,027 and, for current NYS employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Appointments made from the Library 1 eligible list will serve a two-year traineeship leading to the SG-19 salary level.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $75,785 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a letter of interest and resume by September 11, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org (E-mail submissions are preferred). You must indicate the Box number (OCE-1137/80076) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a letter of interest and resume by September 11, 2019 to email@example.com (E-mail submissions are preferred). You must indicate the Box number (OCE-1137/80076) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.