Minimum Qualifications College degree (MBA or CPA a plus) and/or equivalent experience in finance management; State agency experience a plus. Proficiency in MS Office Suite, especially Excel. SFS experience a plus.
Duties Description The Finance Officer is responsible for agency budget preparation and management, with operational support responsibilities. Reports directly to the agency head (Administrator). Coordinates agency financial activities with Division of Budget (DOB) and Office of State Comptroller (OSC). Responsibilities include:
• Budget preparation. Works with the agency Administrator on the annual budget preparation. Coordinates with DOB. Helps prepare the Administrator’s annual budget testimony to the Legislature.
• Liaison to DOB and OSC. Serves as agency’s primary liaison to DOB and OSC. Includes “SFS” management.
• Directs accounting functions for the agency’s three offices (NYC, Albany, Rochester) for such matters as: accounts payable, fixed assets, cash advance, purchasing, fleet management, travel vouchers, lease management and accounting reconciliation. Authorizes and monitors user activity for state-agency and business-partner systems.
• Manages agency funds and expenditures. Monitors all incoming funds and outgoing expenditures. Recommends cost savings. Creates regular financial status reports for the agency Administrator, DOB and OSC, including: segregating funds, evaluating and recommending revenue and saving opportunities, analyzing cost and benefits for new projects, etc.
• Directs payroll functions. Includes policy recommendations to the agency Administrator on staff hiring to remain within budget; coordinating special payroll projects such as annual employee performance evaluations and salary advances.
• Directs staff compensation. Works with agency Administrator to set and execute staff compensation.
• Directs and manages accounting and personnel computer software. Works with agency IT Director on computer security.
• Contract management. Reviews prospective agency contracts, coordinates for State approval processes, monitors for compliance.
• Directs Finance Internal Controls. Sets and executes Finance internal controls strategies, policies, and procedures. Updates agency finance manuals. Works with agency Internal Controls Officer on annual testing of procedures.
Additional Comments Location: The Finance Officer may perform the role in either the Albany or New York City office of the Commission.
The salary for range for this position is $89,574 - $113,225, depending on experience. Appointment subject to successful completion of background check.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingQualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume
to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are by email only. The subject line of the email MUST include the job code FIN2019.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.