Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications • BA, MA, or MBA in relevant fields.
• Experience in public, not for profit or private sector communications and customer experience management; a background in corporate communications and/or customer service is preferred
• Strong written and oral communication skills, with the ability to build, articulate and present new ideas to technical and non-technical audiences.
• Relationship skills and experience collaborating with operational leaders, preferably in developing and implementing client-facing initiatives.
• A passion for public service and for the effective, fair treatment of taxpayers
Duties Description The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance is a national and global leader in tax administration. Our mission is to efficiently collect tax revenues in support of state services and programs while acting with integrity and fairness in the administration of the tax laws of New York State. We interact constantly with millions of taxpayers, and it is essential that we communicate clearly with our taxpayers and improve their customer experience. To that end, we are searching for an experienced leader in corporate or government communications, customer service and/or public relations to evaluate our communication methods in relation to our business functions and refocus them around the taxpayer experience.
We recognize and understand the value of communicating clearly with taxpayers. Every year, we:
• process over 26 million tax returns for over 40 different tax types;
• issue over 10 million refunds;
• handle over 4.2 million calls to our contact center; and
• interact with over 10.8 million users visiting our website.
The Director of Taxpayer Communications and Customer Experience will bring a customer-oriented approach to the Department. Overseeing a staff of 10, the successful candidate will be charged with helping New Yorkers to better understand their rights and responsibilities as taxpayers.
In leading our communications team, the Director will drive Department-wide efforts to instill plain language in all tax communications, redesign the website, educate taxpayers, promote voluntary compliance with the tax law, streamline taxpayer services, and, ultimately, build public confidence in the Department and the State of New York.
• Partner with business areas across the Department to understand strategic needs and orient them around the taxpayer experience
• Lead efforts among Department staff to use plain language and improve taxpayer experience for all written materials, regulations, correspondence and forms
• Lead staff in redesigning the Department website to improve taxpayer experience and provide readily available access to information and taxpayer services
• Oversee outreach initiatives to educate taxpayers and tax professionals about the tax-filing process and changes to tax law
• Lead efforts for hiring, training and retaining high-quality communications talent
Additional Comments Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com
The successful candidate must be fully compliant with all Federal, State and Local Tax Laws, which includes being current with their Tax Return Filings.
Fingerprinting is required as part of the background check prior to appointment.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingHOW TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter and resume to the following mailbox: Human.Resources@tax.ny.gov. Please include the following reference code in the subject line: OTPA-2019-DOC. Please also include how you found out about this posting in your response.