Minimum Qualifications Either:
1. four years of experience as an automotive or diesel mechanic responsible for the diagnosis of faulty vehicle and/or equipment operation and the performance of mechanical repairs covering several aspects of automotive and/or diesel systems;
2. an associate's degree in automotive or diesel repair technology.
Substitution: Education as detailed below may be substituted for a maximum of two years of experience.
1.Graduation from a technical or vocational program, such as B.O.C.E.S, in automotive or diesel technology or automotive or diesel repair technology may be substituted for one year of experience.
2.Graduation from a one-year post high school certificate program in automotive or diesel repair technology may be substituted for up to two years of experience.
Experience limited to airplane (aviation) mechanic (except for ground equipment); gas station attendant; the repair of motorcycles, motor boats, or small engines; installation or repair of transmissions, mufflers, brakes, or tires; new car preparation; auto body repair work; or management activities as the owner or supervisor of a repair shop or service station is NOT QUALIFYING.
Transfer via section 70.1: One year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Service and Repair Mechanic Motor Equipment (formerly Motor Equipment Mechanic).
A CDL B license will be required. Candidates applying without a CDL B license are required to obtain a Commercial Driver License permit within 30 days of appointment and CDL B by the end of probation or will be terminated.
Duties Description As a Service & Repair Mechanic (Motor Equipment) you would:
1) Diagnose and correct the causes of faulty vehicle and equipment operation.
2) Overhaul, adjust and repair gaseous fuel engines, clutches, transmissions, and differentials; ignition, wiring, lighting, fuel, cooling, braking, and complex hydraulic systems; steering, wheel, and suspension mechanisms; and body, cab, and frame components.
3) Conduct NYS inspections.
4) May be assigned to overhaul and rebuild starters, generators, compressors, pumps (fuel, water, air, and hydraulic), spreaders, small engines, mowers, and a variety of other equipment, including but not limited to, track vehicles, loaders (front-end and belt), cranes, shovels, lifts, hydraulic excavators, etc.
5) May diagnose and repair electronic engine control systems, anti-lock brake systems, and air conditioning.
6) May also be required to do cutting and welding.
7) In small shops you may supervise Service and Repair Assistants (Motor Equipment), Facility Operations Assistants 1, and others.
8) May be required to make road calls, test drive equipment, complete reports, use parts catalogs, and perform other related duties.
At the time of appointment, you are required to furnish a basic tool set outlined in Tool List "B".
Additional Comments Preferred Qualifications: experience maintaining and repairing medium or heavy duty diesel powered trucks equipped with air brakes and hydraulic equipment, such as dump body hydraulic circuits, garbage truck roll offs, garbage compactors, wood chippers, front plows or hydraulically operated spreader systems.
This position belongs to the Teamsters Bargaining Unit. The salary starts at the hiring rate listed and is non negotiable.
**EXCELLENT BENEFIT PACKAGE including:
Paid vacation, personal, & sick leave with sick incentive pay, twelve paid holidays with additional four paid floating holidays. Paid jury duty & military leave, competitive health, prescription, dental & vision insurance. Excellent Retirement plan, & optional Deferred Compensation plan & Flexible Spending Account.
Salary is guaranteed contractually to increase through June 30, 2021 plus annual experience payments.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.