Concourse, Empire State Plaza
Minimum Qualifications Bachelor’s degree in computer science, design, public policy or administration, or related field and at least six years of experience in:
• Developing and/or implementing a digital product strategy, preferably in government
• Organizing, mentoring, and motivating cross-functional teams of designers, developers, consumers, and stakeholders to build the right thing for end-users that gets them what they need, when they need it, and how they need it
• Developing and implementing plans for organizational change, with change management experience in diverse and complex environments
Candidates with ten years of experience, or an associate’s degree and eight years of experience are also encouraged to apply.
A J.D. or master’s degree may substitute for one year of specialized experience; a Ph.D. may substitute for two years of specialized experience.
The preferred candidate will have:
• Demonstrated technical competence in at least one, and familiarity with all of the following:
- Current digital development practices and iterative delivery
- DevOps and site reliability engineering
- Digital product creation and project management
- Product design
- User experience and user interaction design
- Content design
- Technical recruiting
• Professional training and experience in meeting legal and Federal and State regulatory compliance requirements
• Decisive leader with proven success organizing, mentoring, and motivating cross-functional teams of designers, developers, consumers, and stakeholders
• Fierce collaborator who has a high EQ and interpersonal skills
Duties Description On behalf of the New York State (NYS) Office of Information Technology Services (ITS), the NYS Office of General Services (OGS) is recruiting a forward-thinking Digital Service Director.
Reporting to the Executive Director of the NYS Digital and Media Services Center, the NYS Digital Service Director will be the hands-on leader of the newly formed Digital Service team, charged with establishing the strategy for and implementation of New York State’s digital footprint. Serving in an operations role, this individual will be the primary client-facing representative of the team, fostering creative collaboration and removing obstacles to ensure the success of the digital team.
The Digital Service Director will be responsible for leading a community of innovators to deliver highly valuable digital products to the people of New York. Grounded in deep experience and a knowledge of what works, the NYS Digital Service Director will combine vision with execution, galvanizing an interdisciplinary team to produce measurable, high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results. Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Define a compelling vision and design a measurable strategy to achieve it.
• Oversee the Digital Service team’s portfolio of projects, ensuring needs and challenges are anticipated, identified, and met.
• Communicate technical concepts to state agency leaders and translate strategic goals to technologists.
• Develop criteria to prioritize digital projects and assign teams including product and project managers, developers, content creators, social strategists, and visual producers.
• Serve as project leader, strategic planner, and problem solver for the Digital Service team, including executive-level client relationship management, quality control, deadline management, and establishment of performance measures.
• Identify needs for changes in procedures, technology and organizational structure to produce client deliverables and working with the team to grow ideas and solutions to meet those needs.
• Work with the Art Director and Creative Director to maintain consistent branding across NYS digital platforms.
• Lead internal communications, including making sure all staff are informed of ongoing projects they may be able to contribute to and organizing full-team review sessions for completed projects.
• Promote digital curiosity and culture of sharing new digital trends, techniques, equipment, regulations and policies in order to prepare for future needs.
• Perform the full range of supervisory responsibilities.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
26th Floor, Corning Tower
Notes on ApplyingNo later than April 20, 2020 please submit a clear, concise resume and one-page personal statement/cover letter to the email or address above. In your cover letter, please indicate you are applying for Digital Service Director, Ref. #14865, why you want to join the NYS Digital Service team and how you meet the qualifications.
New York State is an equal opportunity employer. Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity. Selected candidates who are new or returning to NYS service may be required to pay for fingerprinting fees.