Minimum Qualifications • Demonstrated skills through coursework and professional experience in Data Science, Computer Science, Economics, Statistics, and/or Mathematics;
• Experience with statistical and analytic modeling software and data extraction and visualization tools (SPSS modeler, SAS, STATA, Python, R, Tableau or similar products)
• Familiarity with solution architecture, design, development and understanding of data life cycle: data acquisition, data quality management, data governance, machine learning and metadata management
• Creative and innovative with demonstrated ability to compare and analyze different tools and technologies, resulting in sound recommendations and solutions
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Capable of articulating new ideas to technical and non-technical groups
• Experience collaborating effectively with others, preferably in developing, implementing and assessing analytics-driven solutions.
• An affinity towards teamwork, continuous learning and public service
Duties Description The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance is an internationally recognized leader in tax administration. Our mission is to efficiently collect tax revenues in support of state services and programs while acting with integrity and fairness in the administration of the tax laws of New York State.
As a national and global leader in tax administration, we recognize and understand the value of data. Annually, we:
• process over 26 million tax returns for over 40 different tax types;
• collect over $126 billion dollars in revenues for New York State and over 70 different localities;
• issue over 10 million refunds;
• collect over a billion unique data points through our returns processing systems;
• receive third-party data from dozens of external sources; and
• generate substantial data from our operations and interactions with taxpayers.
Our Data Analytics group is essential to ensuring that we effectively and efficiently harness this data to improve tax policy, combat tax fraud, promote voluntary compliance with the tax law, further modernize enforcement operations and enhance taxpayer services.
As a data-driven organization, we are searching for candidates to join our data analytics team and help us optimize our data assets and analytic capabilities through the implementation of analytic use cases.
Successful candidates will be assigned to a team that will be evaluating our current models and methods to determine how best to leverage our current assets, creating new use case models that will enhance future success.
• Work with business units (e.g., audit, collections, processing, taxpayer services) across the Department to develop and build models in support of analytic use cases
• Provide input on current approaches, making recommendations on improvements to ensure they best achieve goals.
• Review and suggest improvements to current or planned systems and processes
• Perform data extraction, aggregation, and quality checks from multiple sources and tables in support of trend identification and root cause analysis
• Collaborate with other data analytic staff to developing solutions
Additional Comments All successful candidates must be fully compliant with all Federal, State and Local Tax Laws, which includes being current with their Tax Return Filings.
Fingerprinting is required as part of the background check prior to appointment.
Travel: May vary depending upon work assignment.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.