401 Turin Street
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree or higher AND possess a valid NYS Teaching Certificate in Speech and Hearing Handicapped or Speech and Language Disabilities.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Special consideration will be given to candidates with the following qualifications:
• Current license and registration as a Speech Pathologist in NYS.
• Experience working with deaf students.
• Ability to communicate through ASL/Sign Language.
Duties Description The NYS Education Department’s School for the Deaf is seeking candidates for an Instructor (Speech-Language) position. Duties of this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Develop and organize individualized speech and language programs for students with identified speech and/or language needs;
• Provide assessment and remediation services for students aged 3 to 21 years that exhibit difficulties in the areas of receptive language, expressive language, auditory/listening, speech, voice, and fluency;
• Plan interventions appropriate for individual students and groups of students;
• Maintain records of each student’s speech-language program and prepare periodic reports on student’s progress;
• Act as an active participant on the school’s Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT), including planning, attending, and participating in student Individualized Educational Program (IEP) meetings;
• Participate on a student-applicant’s intake evaluation team to provide a screening or evaluation of his or her communication strengths and needs, and make recommendations;
• Write IEP goals and quarterly progress reports for all students;
• Participate in departmental staff, parent, MDT meetings, and meetings of various committees to discuss students’ learning progress, behavior, medical, and other issues related to education;
• Collaborate with families and school personnel, including teachers and related-service providers, to best meet the needs of the students;
• Maintain daily attendance records and Medicaid notes; and
• Adhere to established rules, regulations, laws and appropriate ethical standards.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent, 10-month position. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Candidates are required to possess a valid New York State Teaching Certificate in Speech and Hearing Handicapped or Speech and Language Disabilities at the time of hire. Continued employment as an Instructor is dependent upon maintaining a valid New York State Teaching Certificate in Speech and Hearing Handicapped or Speech and Language Disabilities. Failure to maintain a valid New York State Teaching Certificate in Speech and Hearing Handicapped or Speech and Language Disabilities will result in removal from employment. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. Fees associated with fingerprinting do not apply if applicant’s fingerprints exist in the NYS TEACH System. The work schedule for this position includes hours of Monday (8:00am - 3:30pm) and Tuesday through Friday (7:45am – 3:15pm).
APPLICATION: Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (Email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (ROM-295/00143) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on Applying Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (Email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (ROM-295/00143) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.