401 Turin Street,
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree or higher AND a valid NYS teaching certificate in Special Education AND the ability to perform moderate lifting of children.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Special consideration will be given to candidates with the following qualifications:
• ELA/Math Secondary (Grades 7-12) Certification;
• Ability to communicate through American Sign Language (ASL);
• Prior successful teaching experience; and
• Experience working with children with disabilities, particularly students who are deaf or hard of hearing.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for four Instructor (Substitute) positions at the New York State School for the Deaf for the 2021 summer school session. Duties of these positions will include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Provide Specially Designed Instruction to students with disabilities;
• Teach socially acceptable behaviors, and employ techniques such as behavior modifications and positive reinforcements;
• Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities;
• Instruct students via lectures, discussions, and demonstrations in different subject areas that provide students the opportunities to observe, question, and investigate;
• Teach personal development skills such as goal setting, independence, and self-advocacy;
• Supervise Special Education Assistants;
• Supervise students in the classroom, cafeteria, and work study areas;
• Follow Individualized Education Plans for students; and
• Perform other duties as requested by the Head of Department.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: These will be temporary, hourly positions. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. Fees associated with fingerprinting do not apply if applicant’s fingerprints exist in the NYS TEACH System. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts and New York State teaching certification in Special Education will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Candidates are required to possess a New York State teaching certificate in Special Education at the time of hire. Continued employment as an Instructor (Substitute) is dependent upon maintaining a New York State teaching certificate in Special Education. Failure to maintain a current New York State teaching certification in Special Education will result in removal from employment. The work schedule for these positions will be Monday: 8:00am – 3:30pm, Tuesday through Thursday: 7:45am – 3:15pm, Friday: 7:30am – 3:00pm.
*The hourly rates listed will be used for the 2021 summer school session ONLY. The hourly rates for Instructor (Substitutes) who work during the regular school year are $22.56/hr. to $26.26/hr. (depending on qualifications).
APPLICATION Recruitments will continue until the positions are filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (NYSSD – Summer Instructor) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION Recruitments will continue until the positions are filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (NYSSD – Summer Instructor) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.