Minimum Qualifications Qualification for the Bureau Chief position are as follows:
• Candidates must have a minimum of five (5) years of experience supervising other attorneys and legal support staff in both transactional and litigation matters;
• Knowledge of the State land acquisition process as it is required to be followed by client agencies, and of the relevant laws, including the Eminent Domain Proceedings Law, Real Property Law, Real Property Actions and Proceedings Law, and specific agency statutory authority to acquire property is highly desirable;
• Superb legal analysis, legal writing and editing skills;
• Outstanding organizational, interpersonal communication, problem solving, and teamwork skills;
• Some technological skills, including knowledge of and experience with various computer software programs such as Access, which is used to track projects in the Bureau, and case management platforms which are used to track the Bureau’s litigation docket; and
• This position involves some travel throughout the state.
Applicants must reside in (or intend to soon become a resident of) New York State and be admitted to practice law in New York State. In addition, the Public Officers Law requires that attorneys in the Office be citizens of the United States. A two (2) year commitment upon being hired is a condition of employment.
Duties Description The New York State Office of the Attorney General (OAG) is seeking an experienced attorney with prior supervisory, transactional and litigation experience to serve as Bureau Chief of the Real Property Bureau (RPB). Employing a team of attorneys, legal assistants, support staff and title searchers, RPB investigates and certifies title, clears liens, and prepares the deeds and various other closing documents necessary to facilitate the acquisition of marketable title for the state’s purchase of land. In addition, the Bureau handles all of the state’s eminent domain acquisitions by reviewing title, then identifying and certifying all legal interests entitled to compensation and payment for such acquisitions. The Bureau also represents the state in court proceedings involving either disputes over state land titles, or disputes over fair compensation for property acquired by eminent domain. This position will be based in Albany and reports to the Deputy Attorney General for State Counsel.
Additional Comments The annual salary for this position is $168,984. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Legal Recruitment Bureau - 28 Liberty St
Notes on ApplyingHOW TO APPLY
Applications are being received online. To apply, please visit our website at http://www.ag.ny.gov/job-postings. The reference number for the position is RPB_ALB_BC_3359
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
• Cover Letter
? You may address to Legal Recruitment
? Please indicate the position title and reference number (Real Property Bureau Chief, RPB_ALB_BC_3359)
• List of three (3) references with contact information and email addresses
• Writing Sample
Please note: Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your application.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or you need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at email@example.com or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: www.ag.ny.gov