Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must be licensed as a Psychologist and registered to practice in New York State, AND have seven years of progressively responsible administrative leadership experience . At least three of the seven years of experience must be in a position involving lead responsibility for program and/or policy matters.
• Able to demonstrate superior skills in oral and written communications, and especially in developing plain language information to communicate effectively with applicants, licensees and the public;
• Awareness of the role of technology in the professions and in creating effective and efficient communication and processes;
• Public speaking skills;
• Understanding of the legislative process;
• Knowledge of current practice and research in the professions;
• General research and survey skills;
• Experience dealing with governmental, educational, or regulatory boards; and
• Dedication to public protection and a broad, well-developed array of administrative skills, with a background in public administration.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Office of the Professions (OP) is seeking candidates for the position of Executive Secretary for the State Boards for Psychology, Applied Behavior Analysis, Massage Therapy and Clinical Laboratory Technology. Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Commissioner for OP, the incumbent of this position will lead, liaise, and coordinate tasks for a broad range of activities related to eight professions and registration of institutes chartered by the Board of Regents to offer training in psychotherapy. The incumbent will manage the board office staff and will be a key policy advisor to the Deputy Commissioner. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Provide assistance to the Board of Regents through the New York State Education Department by developing requirements for licensure, reviewing and evaluating applications for licensure, assessing professional practice issues, convening disciplinary panels, providing technical assistance to legislative staff, preparing bill comments, assisting in the development of departmental bills, and other matters regarding professional regulation;
• Confer with OP management staff as well as with State and national associations and others on matters related to practice, professional training, licensure, and other related matters;
• Collaborate with Professional Education to assure that the academic requirements are met, including petitions for a Regents charter, master plan amendments and registration of New York programs, as well as standards for evaluation of out-of-state applicants;
• Interview and recommend prospective Board members to the Department and the Board of Regents;
• Provide support for the State Boards to identify issues of importance and intervene at an early stage, to assist in formulating, implementing and evaluating policies, and to develop and prepare State Board agendas, minutes, and reports;
• Participate in various internal and external activities relating to professional training, licensure, or practice;
• Prepare responses to numerous requests from the field, including licensees, employers and other agencies, for information regarding licensure or practice;
• Work collaboratively with OP staff to develop application materials, consumer information, plain language information for licensees, and materials for the OP website; and,
• Serve as a member of OP’s leadership team, taking on additional or other management responsibilities as assigned.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This position is in the exempt jurisdictional class, and the incumbent will serve at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Filling of this position is contingent on Division of the Budget approval.
*Salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
APPLICATION: Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to opjobs@ nysed.gov (Email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1363/20651) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by SED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to opjobs@ nysed.gov (Email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1363/20651) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by SED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.