Minimum Qualifications One year of experience in the operation of equipment noted as appropriate for this class and the possession of a valid New York State driver’s license appropriate for the type of vehicle operated. See Operational Needs for specific license required.
Some examples of appropriate equipment for this class: Self-propelled sweepers, front end loaders and dump trucks.
A demonstration test may be required at the time of interview.
Pursuant to the Federal Omnibus Transportation Act, pre-employment drug and alcohol testing will be required. Once appointed to/selected for the position, random drug and alcohol testing will be required.
Application Process: Candidates are required to provide specific, verifiable information about their qualifying experience with their resume. This information should be on the letterhead of the employer under whom the qualifying experience was gained and include names and titles of supervisors, duties performed during the training period and specific dates of employment and be signed by that employer.
• Please provide a copy of your valid, unrestricted New York State motor vehicle operator’s license.
• Candidates who do not submit appropriate documentary proof that they meet the minimum qualifications will not be considered for appointment.
Per Agreement between the Civil Service Employees Association, Inc. and the State of New York, Article 45 (c) the requirement to prove qualification shall rest with the employee.
Duties Description • Assist in grounds operation and maintenance by performing a variety of tasks including the operation of mowers, street sweepers, loaders, salt spreaders, dump trucks, backhoes and aerial lift trucks.
• Perform manual labor to complete grounds maintenance tasks.
• Manually load trash into a garbage hauler and transport the trash from the facilities to the transfer station.
Additional Comments Operational Needs:
• Possess and maintain a valid Class A or B New York State motor vehicle operator’s license with air brake endorsement.
• Able to operate a forklift (OSHA certification provided after appointment).
• Able to work at heights using ladders, scaffolding, platform lifts, boom lifts, etc.
• Able to perform moderate to heavy manual labor.
• Able to lift 70 lbs.
• Mandatory overtime as required for snow/ice control and removal, special events, and emergencies, including weekdays, weekends, and holidays.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.