Minimum Qualifications This position is open to candidates who have one year of permanent competitive service as a Budget Examiner, G-18. The position is also open to NYS employees at or above G-16 who are eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. The transfer cannot be a second consecutive transfer resulting in an advancement of more than two grade levels. In order to qualify for Section 52.6 transfer, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in an administrative title as defined by Section 52.6. Examples of qualifying Section 52.6 titles include Senior Administrative Analyst, G-18 and Business Systems Analyst 1, G-18.
The successful candidate must have strong analytical, and writing skills, demonstrate an attention to detail, possess good interpersonal skills, and have the ability to work well both independently and as part of a team.
Duties Description The Education Unit is recruiting a highly motivated individual to be part of the section responsible for budgeting the $29 billion School Aid program, the main source of State support for public elementary and secondary schools. Assignments may include:
• Analysis of the funding level and distribution of School Aid;
• Development of policy and fiscal recommendations for the Executive Budget;
• Evaluation of school district finances, including property taxes, spending and budgets, as well as Federal education funding;
• Analysis of policy issues such as student performance, school construction, pupil transportation, local mandate relief and school district efficiency;
• Review of proposed legislation;
• Assist in the development, implementation and monitoring of education initiatives; and
• Monitoring State spending on education and updating the State’s Financial Plan.
This position will provide broad-based experience in all aspects of elementary and secondary education finance, as well as the opportunity to work within a politically sensitive and highly visible atmosphere. The successful candidate will interact with staff from the State Education Department, other State agencies, the Legislature and education advocacy groups
Additional Comments To be considered for a current or future position with the Budget Division, please complete the Online Employment Application at https://www.budget.ny.gov/resume/ and select "School Aid" on the Professional Interests and Skills page.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo be considered for a current or future position with the Budget Division, please complete the Online Employment Application at https://www.budget.ny.gov/resume/ and select "School Aid" on the Professional Interests and Skills page.