Minimum Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
Juris Doctor, admission to the New York State Bar with a minimum of seven (7) years of experience in the practice of law subsequent to admission to the Bar.
Juris Doctor, admission to the New York State Bar and seven (7) years of experience in the practice of municipal or public finance subsequent to admission to the Bar.
• Excellent oral and written communications skills.
• Demonstrated judgment and exercise of discretion including in confidential matters.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate with tact and diplomacy.
• Demonstrated analytical and conceptual skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and exercise sound judgment.
• Familiarity with terms and administration of collective bargaining agreements.
• Proficiency in PC applications, such as Microsoft Office
Duties Description Primary Purpose
Under the direction of the General Counsel, with a high degree of independent judgment and responsibility, renders legal advice and executes legal assignments of considerable difficulty in relation to financing transactions involving public and private clients, administration of grant programs, asset management and the development of internal policy and administration to achieve the social and commercial objectives of DASNY. Acts in a confidential capacity to the executive staff on policy, personnel, collective bargaining, and/or labor relations issues.
• Support management and staff in particular areas of operations (public clients, private clients or policy and administration) and provide counsel primarily in the areas of public finance, grant administration, asset management, real estate and workouts and be able to advise on matters pertaining to procurement, labor relations, human resources, investments, litigation, insurance, eminent domain, and/or environmental affairs.
• Apprise General Counsel, Deputy General Counsel, and their Supervisor of all significant activities, and when their involvement in an activity is needed.
• Support internal Public Finance and Finance staff in the preparation and review of required legal documentation used in connection with DASNY's debt issuances.
• Monitor compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements and the internal policies and procedures associated with DASNY’s debt issuances.
• Support the administration of various grant programs, including the formulation of policies and procedures with respect thereto, and related reporting.
• Advise DASNY staff with respect to general corporate matters such as Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) requests, ethical issues, insurance matters, systems issues, and real estate matters.
• Assist in the preparation of legislation and render advice on DASNY's legislative program.
• Review and provide legal advice with respect to investment, custodial, wire transfer and other agreements for the Finance division.
• Provide legal counsel with respect to the annual audit.
• Provide legal services related to Board matters.
• Handles real estate transactions, as directed, in connection with DASNY’s operations, including the financing and construction programs.
• Coordinates and directs bond counsel in connection with DASNY’s financings.
• Participates in the preparation of legal documents and official statements in connection with DASNY’s financings, and participates in the conduct of closings.
• Participates in development and implementation of asset management systems and performs legal functions in connection with the management of the DASNY’s asset portfolio.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
• Handle disciplinary matters and assist in handling grievances, arbitration and disciplinary measures in accordance with applicable collective bargaining agreements.
• Participate in collective bargaining and other employee relation matters; administer and ensure adherence to applicable bargaining agreements.
• Develop, document and implement policies and procedures.
• Maintain current knowledge of statutory and regulatory changes that relate to the operations of DASNY.
• Direct the assessment, development, implementation and testing of internal controls.
• Undertake special assignments as directed.
• Must maintain regular attendance in accordance with DASNY attendance and leave policies.
• Must adhere to the NYS Information Security Policy Standards established and issued by the NYS Office of Information Technology Services. (Standards can be found on the Intranet.)
Additional Comments Supervision
Supervision of employees may be required.
Travel may be required, generally to the NYC area, using public transportation, DASNY vehicle, rental vehicle or personal vehicle. This travel may include overnight stays. Requires complex and time-pressured decision making. Must be able to work overtime or extended work hours as needed.
Standard office environment, including the use of one or more of the following: PC, telephone, fax machine, printer, copier, scanner, electronic stapler/hole punch/date stamp, shredder.
**Please note: Compensation is commensurate with experience.
DASNY is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to excellence and diversity.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo apply, please copy and paste the following in your browser: