Minimum Qualifications Either 1 of 3:
1. A New York State Professional Engineer’s license and current registration AND a qualifying bachelor’s degree or higher as listed below.*
*Qualifying degrees: Civil Engineering, Civil Engineering Technology, Construction Engineering, Construction Engineering Technology, Construction Engineering Management, Construction Engineering Management Technology, Geological Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Hydraulics Engineering, Materials Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Structural Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Transportation Planning and Engineering, or Engineering Science with a recognized concentration in any of the above listed engineering degrees.
2. A New York State Professional Engineer’s license and current registration AND one year of full-time engineering experience with transportation projects related to highways/roadways, railroad, bridges, airports, waterways, building structures, or traffic management and safety systems.
-Selected candidate will be required to take the Civil Service Professional Engineer 1 (Civil/Transportation) examination and obtain a reachable score on the resulting eligible list to be appointed permanently.
3. FOR 70.1 TRANSFER:
The candidate must have one year of permanent competitive service in a TITLE eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service law.
Duties Description • Provide guidance in handling of additional work or change orders including developing Orders-on-Contract, Agreed Price Analysis, requests for changes to projects in construction, requests for additional funding and renegotiation of items due to overruns, underruns or changed conditions.
• Quality assurance reviews of Orders-on-Contract from the Divisions prior to submittal to OSC.
• Review and approval of Subcontractors.
• Assist with interpretation of the Standard Specifications and the TA Addendum.
• Provide guidance in handling of disputed work claims at the field and Division level.
• Attend project progress meeting via teleconference; review progress meeting minutes.
• Review and provide comments on contractors’ schedules.
• QA review of Extensions of Contract Completion Date, Final Acceptance and Value Engineering Contract Proposals.
Provide support to Engineering and other HQ groups:
• Serve on selection committees for Construction Inspection agreements.
• Review and provide constructability comments for Advanced Detail plans and PS&E plans.
• Review and provide comments on proposed specification changes.
• Provide input to the Chief Engineer and Director of Construction Management regarding contractor’s disputed work claims.
• Provide assistance to our Legal Department regarding claims on construction contracts.
• Final QA of contract record plans and files prior to archiving.
• Assist in preparation and presentation at Construction Forums for our Consultant inspection staff.
Additional Comments This position belongs to the CSEA bargaining unit.
EXCELLENT BENEFIT PACKAGE including:
Sick leave with sick leave incentive pay, thirteen paid holidays including five paid floating holidays. Free parking, Accrued Vacation, Sick & Personal Leave, Paid jury duty, Competitive health, prescription, dental & vision insurance. Excellent retirement plan, & optional Deferred Compensation plan, Flexible Spending Account and more.
If transfer via 70.1 eligible, candidate can discuss salary with our Salary Administrator upon hire.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit a resume and copy of current PE license and registration and proof of qualifying bachelor's degree (if required)
to Gina Brady using the above contact information.
Please indicate the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line.
The New York State Thruway Authority is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.
New York State Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, marital status, gender identity, prior arrests, prior conviction records, predisposing genetic characteristics or domestic violence victim status.
The New York State Thruway Authority provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify Office of Equal Opportunities Bureau at 518-471-5071.