Minimum Qualifications Two years of full-time experience in maintenance or mechanical work under the supervision of a skilled tradesperson; OR completion of an appropriate two-year technical school course at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services, such as the New York State Civil Service Employees Association-Partnership (NYS CSEA-P) Applied Skilled Trades Certificate Program*; or an equivalent combination of experience and training gained by completion of appropriate technical courses at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services.
*Successful completion of the NYS CSEA-P Applied Skilled Trades Certificate Program includes a total of 288 hours of trade-specific classroom instruction, 45 hours of technical math course work, 45 hours of technical communications course work, and 15 hours of blueprint/schematic reading course work. It does not include 4,000 hours of on-the-job training, as required for the NYS CSEA-P Applied Skilled Trades Traineeship.
When required to operate motor vehicles, candidates must possess a valid New York State driver's license appropriate for the type of vehicle to be operated.
Application Process: Candidates are required to provide specific, verifiable information about their qualifying experience. This information should be on the letterhead of the employer under whom the qualifying experience was gained and include names and titles of supervisors, duties performed during the training period and specific dates of employment and be signed by that employer.
• Candidates qualifying through the completion of appropriate course work should include a copy of their transcript or listing of course work completed.
• A copy of a trades union card is acceptable documentary proof of qualification.
• Candidates who do not submit appropriate documentary proof that they meet the minimum qualifications will not be considered for appointment.
Per Agreement between the Civil Service Employees Association, Inc. and the State of New York, Article 45 (c) the requirement to prove qualification shall rest with the employee.
Duties Description • Will perform semi-skilled repairs/installations in the electrical, carpentry, plumbing, masonry, and painting trades.
• Retrieve daily assignments and track accountable hours using the AiM work management system. Submit accurate and proper documentation in a timely manner.
Additional Comments Operational Needs:
• Possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted New York State motor vehicle operator’s license.
• Asbestos certification required within 90 days of appointment as well as compliance with all related PESH/OSHA regulations.
• Able to lift up to 80 lbs.
• Able to work at heights using ladders, scaffolding, platform lifts, boom lifts, etc.
• Able to operate a variety of forklifts (OSHA certification provided after appointment).
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.