Minimum Qualifications Preferred Qualifications:
• Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school;
• Admission to, and a member in good standing of, the New York State Bar; and
• Minimum of two years of experience practicing law subsequent to New York State Bar admission.
• Background in litigation and contract drafting and analysis.
• Exceptional organization and analytical skills;
• Ability to handle multiple matters under pressure and deadlines;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills;
• Superior interpersonal skills and ability to work independently;
• Excellent judgment and discretion in matters of confidentiality;
• Self-motivated by interesting work and successful results;
• Interest in supporting the Commission’s Mission Statement;
• Meticulous attention to detail and quality control;
• Proficiency in PC applications, such as Microsoft Office; and
• Commitment to public service and the highest integrity.
Duties Description The New York State Gaming Commission seeks a highly skilled and intrinsically motivated Assistant Counsel with exceptional skills to provide legal advice to actively support the Commission’s mission. The Commission is the State’s regulatory body, with varied responsibilities over all forms of gaming conducted within the State, including operation of the $10 billion-per-year New York Lottery and regulation of commercial casinos, Indian casinos, video lottery gaming, interactive fantasy sports, charitable gaming, horse racing and pari-mutuel wagering in New York State. Reporting to the Associate Counsel, the Assistant Counsel will perform the following duties and tasks:
• Advise Commission staff on general legal issues and other matters related to commercial gaming, lottery, horse racing and pari-mutuel wagering, charitable gaming, video lottery gaming, and Indian gaming regulation;
• Perform research and keep current on best practices worldwide for commercial gaming and Indian gaming regulation and enforcement;
• Represent the Commission in adjudicatory proceedings and litigation;
• Draft contracts and agreements;
• Develop and maintain appropriate applications and licensing forms;
• Draft, revise and analyze legislation, rules, regulations and policies;
• Prepare appropriate legal documents and review of all work to ensure technical accuracy, completeness and soundness of approach;
• Legal research and preparation of memoranda regarding topical issues for Commission consideration;
• Analyze and summarize cases and information pertinent to statutes, rules, regulations, policies and opinions relating to gaming, with an emphasis on commercial gaming operations;
• Maintain compliance with laws, including the Racing, Pari-Mutuel Wagering and Breeding Law, State Administrative Procedure Act, and Commission regulations;
• Assist with responses to Freedom of Information Law requests;
• Work with the New York State Office of the Attorney General, local District Attorneys and outside counsel on various issues including civil actions, criminal prosecutions, and intellectual property; and
• Assist in responding to subpoenas issued to the Commission.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingEmail submissions are preferred. Please specify Assistant Counsel in the subject line of your email or fax submission. Submit a cover letter and resume in Word or PDF format. We are unable to open documents from Google Docs, Google Drive, OneDrive and/or "the Cloud".