Minimum Qualifications Candidates for the position of Supervising Legal Assistant should possess the following qualifications:
• A Bachelor’s degree and at least five (5) years of relevant work experience as either a paralegal specialist, case manager, legal assistant or legal office manager;
• Prior experience supervising, training and coaching staff;
• Familiarity with the NYC courts, civil and criminal terms;
• Comfortable learning new software applications and using technology to complete legal work; proficiency using the MS Office Suite (Excel, Access and Outlook); and prior experience using eDiscovery platforms and legal research applications is preferred;
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to develop and maintain productive working relationships with staff from all levels of the organization;
• Motivated, proactive and organized with the ability to self-mange priorities and meet tight deadlines; and
• Adept at working independently and in a group setting.
Duties Description The New York State Office of the Attorney General’s (OAG) Medicaid Fraud Control Unit (MFCU) is seeking a Supervising Legal Assistant for its New York City office. The mission of MFCU is to investigate, prosecute and obtain remedies against individuals and corporate entities responsible for improper or fraudulent Medicaid billing schemes. Many of the Unit’s actions involve coordination with other state and federal agencies and result in large-scale financial recoveries that are returned to the Medicaid program. Additionally, MFCU investigates reports of abuse and neglect at nursing homes and other health care facilities in New York. The importance of this work is highlighted in the OAG’s recently released report investigating allegations of COVID-19-related neglect of nursing home residents across New York State.
The Supervising Legal Assistant is responsible for supervising a team of Legal Support Analysts (LSAs). LSAs are part of project-specific teams comprised of attorneys, auditors, and detectives who, from inception through disposition, work together to uncover complex fraudulent conduct for which MFCU holds offenders accountable through both criminal prosecution and civil litigation.
Responsibilities of the Supervising Legal Assistant will include, but are not limited to the following:
• Supervising a team of five to six (5-6) LSAs in the NYC office, including reviewing their work and supporting their professional development; assigning projects, prioritizing tasks and monitoring their caseload/workflow; and resolving any performance and labor relations issues;
• Working collaboratively with and regularly consulting managers from the NYC Regional Office, Civil Enforcement Division and MFCU’s Executive team to ensure the LSA team is appropriately and effectively supporting the Unit’s work and mission;
• Overseeing the preparation of legal documents, such as briefs, motions and court orders;
• Acting as the liaison between attorneys and LSAs, ensuring projects are completed accurately and timely; and
• Assisting managers with the interviewing and hiring of legal interns, legal support analysts and attorneys, including scheduling interviews and participating in these meetings.
Additional Comments The annual salary for this position is $72,998-$79,459 + $3026 in location pay. The final salary will be determined after a complete evaluation of the selected candidate’s qualifications. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State.
Per Office of the Attorney General policy, confirmation of full vaccination status is a condition of employment for this position. If you are not fully vaccinated, you will be required to provide negative COVID-19 test results at a frequency determined by the agency. The agency will consider religious and reasonable accommodations. For more information, please contact Recruitment@ag.ny.gov.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Legal Recruitment Unit- 28 Liberty St
Notes on ApplyingHOW TO APPLY:
Applications are being received online. To apply, please visit our careers website: https://ag.ny.gov/job-postings.
Reference No. MFCU_NYC_SLA_6188
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
• Cover Letter
? You may address to Legal Recruitment.
? Indicate why you are interested in this position and what makes you the best candidate.
• List of three (3) references with contact information and email addresses
? Only submit professional references, supervisory references are preferred.
? Indicate the nature and duration of your relationship to each reference.
? Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
• Writing Sample
? Provide a sample that you feel best demonstrates your writing and analytical abilities
Please note: Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your application..
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG or you need assistance with submitting your application, please contact the Legal Recruitment via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: www.ag.ny.gov