Minimum Qualifications A bachelor’s degree and five years of professional experience working with institutional Fixed Income investments and/or fixed income investment managers as defined as follows: evaluating fixed income securities/investments/fixed income money managers and recommending and concluding on the investment merits and/or drawbacks of existing and/or potential fixed income investments and/or money managers; researching and developing fixed income strategy and participating in the implementation thereof, by making independent buy/sell recommendations and/or decisions for multiple fixed income asset classes or fixed income money managers; and applying risk management concepts and tools as they relate to managing a portfolio(s) of fixed income securities or fixed income money managers.
Substitutions: A master’s degree in Business Administration or a closely related field may substitute for one year of experience; a Chartered Financial Analyst designation may substitute for one year of experience. A maximum of one year of experience substitution is permitted.
- Experience in the oversight, analysis and due diligence of domestic and/or international fixed income money managers
- Commitment to providing exceptional customer service
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Exceptional level of integrity and professionalism
- Excellent writing and organizational skills
- Excellent communication and questioning skills, as well as the ability to effectively conduct and manage meetings
- CFA Charterholder, progress towards becoming a Charterholder, or willing to pursue the
Chartered Financial Analyst designation; Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certificate in Investment Performance Management (CIPM).
- An updated understanding of Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS)
- Willingness to continually develop capital market/fixed income knowledge and skill set
Computer and Software Knowledge:
- Excellent analytic, quantitative and computing skills desired, including knowledge of standard desktop tools
- Proficient in the use of Bloomberg, Bloomberg PORT, FactSet (or similar bond analytical platforms), eVestment, 3rd party research tools (e.g. Mercer database) and Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to quickly learn and adapt to new tools and software
The Teachers’ Retirement Investment Officer 3 – Fixed Income (External Fixed Income) will independently and under the direction of Fixed Income Management, perform various duties including, but not limited to, quantitative & qualitative research and analysis of fixed income strategies and money managers, due diligence, monitoring and evaluation of existing and prospective fixed income managers, and make recommendations on new and existing fixed income managers. Periodic and sometimes frequent travel both domestically and internationally is required.
The TRS Investment Officer 3-Fixed Income is responsible for, but not limited to, the following duties:
· Utilize 3rd party analytical tools and databases to research, review, analyze and make recommendations to Fixed Income Management on external fixed income investment strategies and fixed income money managers
· Plan, coordinate and lead Fixed Income teams in the performance of on-site external fixed income manager due diligence meetings
· Oversee and participate in the synthesis of data and information gathered as a result of prospective fixed income manager due diligence, to create and present written recommendations to the System’s Internal Investment Committee (IIC) and Investment Committee of the Board advocating for the hiring of individual fixed income managers
· As it relates to System asset allocation and external fixed income asset management implementation, provide recommendations on increasing and /or decreasing exposure to individual managers as part of the ongoing asset allocation process
· Develop and maintain external fixed income asset management relationships and distill and communicate findings and developments to the Fixed Income team through meetings and corresponding files/databases
· Manage the reconciliation and evaluation of external fixed income manager performance attribution and perform ongoing compliance and portfolio monitoring
• Plan, coordinate and facilitate recurring and periodic external manager portfolio review conference calls and meetings
• Engage external manager portfolio managers and staff to ensure a full understanding of the risks and strategies in each portfolio
• When applicable, oversee, manage, and monitor activity performed by NYSTRS’ external transition manager to facilitate the movement of assets and or portfolios from one external fixed income manager to another, to ensure the transition is conducted pursuant to pre-defined guidelines and/or constraints
• Prepare and develop periodic monthly and quarterly reports (e.g. for Board meetings) as requested
• Participate on System committees (e.g. MWBE Conference) and perform other administrative tasks when needed (e.g. procurement related responsibilities)
• Continuously stay abreast of general trends in the asset management industry, global markets and, in particular, fixed income sectors and strategies
Additional Comments THIS IS NOT A REMOTE WORK POSITION.
There are currently no mandatory re-employment lists at this time. However, please note that if such a list is certified against this title prior to the completion of the selection process, candidates applying based on meeting the minimum qualifications or transferability under Civil Service Law can no longer be considered.
The work hours of this position are subject to change in accordance with Article 12 of the collective bargaining agreement.
This position falls under NYSTRS’ Personal Trading policy, which requires pre-clearance of personal trades and reporting of trading activity.
In order to be considered for this position, you are required to complete a NYSTRS’ employment application for the position you are applying for. The link to the employment application is below.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingIn order to be considered for this position, you are required to complete a NYSTRS’ employment application for the position you are applying for. The link to the employment application is below.