Minimum Qualifications Required qualifications for the ICO position are as follows:
• Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, compliance, business administration or a related field;
• A minimum of five (5) years of relevant accounting, auditing and/or internal controls experience that demonstrates an increasing level of complexity and responsibility;
• Experience designing, testing and implementing internal controls and reviewing business processes;
• Working knowledge of the Standards for Internal Control in NYS Government
• Excellent presentation skills and verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain complex issues simply;
• Ability to build and maintain productive and collaborative relationships with staff at all levels of an organization;
• Organized and proactive with the ability to self-manage competing priorities and tight deadlines; and
• Availability for periodic travel within NYS, once travel resumes.
Preferred qualifications for the ICO position are as follows:
• An MBA or MPA is a plus, but is not required;
• Prior work experience in NYS government in an audit or internal control capacity is also a plus;
• Certification as a CPA, CIA, CFE or PMP is desirable; and
• Experience using data analytics and data visualization platforms.
Duties Description The New York State Office of the Attorney General’s (OAG) Division of Administration (Division) is seeking a qualified candidate with experience conducting internal audits and program research for an Internal Control Officer (ICO) position. The Division, headed by the Chief Operating Officer, is responsible for all aspects of the OAG’s human capital strategy, financial administration, information technology and facilities. The ICO will be charged with ensuring appropriate internal controls are in place to protect OAG employees, assets and information while also ensuring the agency is functioning effectively and efficiently. Further, the ICO will be responsible for developing positive working relationships with key process owners, leadership and other stakeholders to build awareness about the importance of implementing a strong internal control environment. The ICO position is located in Albany and will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
Duties of the ICO will include, but not be limited to the following:
• Review internal control practices within every Division at the OAG to ensure overall agency compliance with the NYS Internal Control Act, as well as any related legislative, executive and administrative mandates and directives;
• Identify internal control weaknesses and implement effective solutions, as appropriate;
• Prepare and certify annual internal control reporting requirements;
• Prepare reports and deliver presentations to managers and other staff on the results of internal control assessments, provide recommendations for remediation and operational improvements and provide periodic progress updates;
• Provide internal consulting support to agency managers to assist them in meeting internal control requirements;
• Develop and implement trainings, reference materials and other educational offerings for OAG staff and managers to help communicate agency policies and procedures related to internal controls;
• Foster collaborative partnerships with Internal Control Officers from other NYS agencies in order to stay abreast of new and emerging internal control techniques and best practices that could be implemented at the OAG;
• Represent the OAG on internal control matters with external organizations, such as the NYS Internal Control Association; and
• Participate in additional agency projects as determined by executive management.
Additional Comments The annual salary for this position is $91,365 - $115,480. The final salary will be determined after a complete evaluation of the selected candidate’s qualifications. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State.
Per Office of the Attorney General policy, confirmation of full vaccination status is a condition of employment for this position. If you are not fully vaccinated, you will be required to provide negative COVID-19 test results at a frequency determined by the agency. The agency will consider religious and reasonable accommodations. For more information, please contact Recruitment@ag.ny.gov.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Legal Recruitment Bureau - 28 Liberty St
Notes on ApplyingHOW TO APPLY:
Applications are being received online. To apply, please visit our website at http://www.ag.ny.gov/job-postings.
Reference No. DOA_ALB_ICO_6189
To ensure consideration, applications must be received by close of business on November 12, 2021
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
• Cover Letter
? You may address to Legal Recruitment.
? Indicate why you are interested in this position and what makes you the best candidate.
• List of three (3) references with contact information and email addresses
? Only submit professional references, supervisory references are preferred.
? Indicate the nature and duration of your relationship to each reference.
? Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
• Writing Sample
? Provide a sample that you feel best demonstrates your writing and analytical abilities
Please note: Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your application.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG or you need assistance with submitting your application, please contact the Legal Recruitment via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: www.ag.ny.gov