Minimum Qualifications Qualifications Required:
Masters Degree (with a preference for public policy, planning, or public administration)
At least three years experience managing staff and supporting a team
Experience working in an advocacy organization or government office
Experience in government legislative process
Understanding of issues facing the state
Excellent written, oral communication, organizational, and coordination skills
Ability to develop and nurture relationships and networks from diverse backgrounds
Able to respond to a crisis with a calm and problem-solving focus
Comfortable in a fast-paced and dynamic office environment
Duties Description Overview:
The Senator is looking for a Chief of Staff to join a collaborative, dynamic, and dedicated team. The Chief of Staff’s primary responsibilities will be to supervise and manage staff and serve as the Senator’s key advisor and representative in and out of the senate district.
The Chief of Staff will play a central role in advising and representing the Senator and supporting the Office’s team to advance the Senator’s agenda. This plan focuses on advancing equity on issues that have both district-specific and state-wide impacts not limited to housing, economic development, health care, and transportation. The Chief Of Staff is a dynamic and demanding role, and we are seeking someone excited to serve the district’s diverse and vibrant communities and residents.
• Coordinate Senator’s district schedule, including meetings and special events
• Direct and plan the operations of the district office, including staff, assignments, workflow, etc.
• Implement office policies and procedures for District Office
using rules and regulations of the NY State Senate
• Represent Senator at meetings, events, functions, etc. Including addressing the audience
• Initiate and manage correspondence for an accurate representation of Senator’s positions
• Maintain communication with the Albany staff, community, business leaders, constituent groups, and government partners
• Accompany Senator on visits throughout the district when necessary
• Assist constituents with unique and special needs
• Liaise with government agencies, including other state elected offices as necessary
• Schedule and coordinate community meetings, events, and mobile offices across the district
• Travel to Albany if necessary
• Special projects assigned by the Senator
Additional Comments The Senate Office is an Equal Opportunity employer: we do not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.