Minimum Qualifications Possession of a Bachelor’s degree or license to practice as a Registered Nurse in New York State; AND two (2) years of experience working in a facility licensed or certified by the Office for People With Developmental Disabilities and under the jurisdiction of the NYS Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs. Experience in facilities under jurisdiction of NYS Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs that are licensed or certified by: New York State Office of Mental Health, Office of Children and Family Services, Department of Health, State Education Department or Office of Addiction Services and Supports may also be considered; investigating complaints and allegations of abuse and neglect of persons receiving care from a facility or provider covered under the jurisdiction of the NYS Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs; a medical facility; a child protective services organization; or as a professional advocate or service provider in the field of rehabilitation, developmental disabilities, or mental health.
A Master’s degree in a human services or health-related field may be substituted for one year of the required experience as described above.
Preferred Qualifications: The preferred candidate will have experience assessing compliance and creating written documents in any of the licensed and certified settings above, a master’s degree in human services, social work, psychology or other relevant clinical or health related field; excellent critical thinking and writing skills; quality assurance/improvement, interview, investigation and/or risk management experience; computer skills and knowledge; research experience; and experience with meeting facilitation and presenting to groups. The preferred candidate will have a driver’s license and the ability to drive throughout NYS.
Duties Description Under the general supervision of a Quality Care Facility Review Specialist 2, the Quality Care Facility Review Specialist 1 will perform the following duties:
• Conduct on-site and desk audits and reviews of facilities and/or programs under Justice Center jurisdiction.
• Conduct in-depth analyses of all documentation collected to evaluate effectiveness of corrective actions, identify systemic problems, and identify abuse prevention measures to safeguard people in care and improve service quality.
• Draft audits, reviews and related correspondences and reports.
• Navigate an electronic data base to access information, track and store work products.
• Draft and use excel spreadsheets for trend analysis and other data collection.
• Liaise with government agencies, provider facilities and other stakeholders as required.
• Participate in abuse prevention initiatives and development of abuse prevention resources to support provider agencies efforts in the area.
• Present to stakeholders at conferences and meetings on abuse prevention topics and other unit work.
• Perform duties both independently and in a team setting.
Additional Comments The New York State Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs (Justice Center) is charged with protecting over one million New Yorkers under the care or jurisdiction of six state agencies. The following list outlines several of the Justice Center’s key responsibilities:
• Advocate on behalf of individuals with disabilities and provide oversight of quality of care.
• Operate a centralized, statewide 24-hour hotline and incident reporting system staffed by trained personnel.
• Operate a statewide register that contains the names of individuals found responsible for egregious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect.
• Centralize and perform functions relating to criminal history background checks.
• Investigate serious allegations of abuse and neglect.
• Prosecute criminal acts of abuse and neglect.
• Analyze abuse patterns and trends in order to prevent future occurrences.
NOTE: You are advised that should you accept a job offer with this agency, you may be required to be fingerprinted and pay for the cost of the fingerprinting fee.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.