Minimum Qualifications Appointment method:
Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a title eligible for transfer via Sections 70.1 or 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. Information regarding transfer eligibility may be available on the Civil Service Career Mobility Office website at http://careermobilityoffice.cs.ny.gov/cmo/.
Please Note that under Civil Service Law, an employee cannot have two consecutive upward 70.1 or 52.6 transfers without an intervening eligible list appointment if such transfers would exceed two salary grades.
55 b/c Appointment: Candidates must meet the eligibility requirements of the Governor's Program to Hire Individuals and Veterans with Disabilities as described in Civil Service Law § 55b/c. Information about this program can be found here: https://www.cs.ny.gov/rp55/
Duties Description The Department of Financial Services is seeking candidates for the position of Senior Attorney. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Conducts due diligence research in connection with financial services license applications of student loan servicing, money services, and cryptocurrency companies;
• Reviews and analyzes all documents of the application file including legal documents, personnel information, financial statements, and the applicant's business model;
• Researches and reviews court records, significant litigations, and other public records such as UCC filings, liens, judgments and bankruptcy filings that involve the applicants, their related companies, control parties, officers, and directors;
• Conducts research and analysis of the published findings of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the Federal Reserve Board, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, the Federal Trade Commission, other federal regulatory agencies, and the regulatory and law enforcement agencies of all 50 states and 16 U.S. territories;
• Issues clearly written and detailed memoranda compromised of findings with facts and analysis to support the recommendations upon which the business units of the Department may rely; and
• Participates in the investigations of cybersecurity incidents reported by the Department's covered entities, in connection with Department's Cybersecurity Compliance Regulation, 23 NYCRR Part 500, and drafts concise memoranda of findings from each inquiry.
Additional Comments Positions located within the New York City metropolitan area, as well as Suffolk, Nassau, Rockland, and Westchester Counties, are also eligible to receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than November 30, 2021 to the email address listed below. Please include the Box # (Box 00287) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
New York State Department of Financial Services
Office of Human Resources Management
One Commerce Plaza, Suite 301
Albany, NY 12257
Fax: (518) 402-5071
All candidates that apply may not be scheduled for an interview
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job. If the accommodation would constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency, the agency is not required to provide it.