Minimum Qualifications Two years' experience in the operation and/or maintenance of a park, historic site, or recreational facility; OR two years' experience as a trades assistant under the supervision of a skilled tradesperson, or completion of an appropriate two-year technical/trades school course.
Duties Description Under the direction of the Mason/Carpenter and the Historic Site Manager, the selected candidate will be involved in every aspect of site maintenance, with a primary focus on assisting with the masonry restoration of the historic forts. The incumbent will assist with all activities related to the historic masonry restoration year round including, moving and setting up scaffolding and mechanical lifts, determining proper mortar mixes, chipping mortar, repointing walls, rebuilding walls, and properly documenting all work performed. The incumbent will be responsible for assisting and training seasonal staff in historic masonry restoration and will assist in reviewing and evaluating these seasonal employees. Additionally, the incumbent will be responsible for coordinating and cooperating with other site staff in performing building and site maintenance tasks including cleaning, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical repairs as needed. The incumbent will also be responsible for coordinating with other site staff during special events and in emergency situations to ensure that patrons have an enjoyable and safe experience. The incumbent will be committed to providing good customer service by graciously helping site patrons and answering their questions and addressing their concerns promptly and courteously.
Additional Comments - Preferred experience- Experience in the maintenance of a park, historic site, or recreational facility focusing on masonry; or completion of an appropriate two-year technical/trades school course with a focus on masonry. The candidate should be willing to learn (if not already skilled in) relaying stone within walls, repairing and cutting stone, parging and capping walls, and replacing lintels over doors and windows.
- Applicants must be able to perform heavy physical labor, working with pneumatic hammers and managing masonry cement bags that weigh 94 lbs. and stone blocks and wooden lintels that are heavier.
- Applicants must be able to work from scaffolding and mechanical lifts at heights up to 40 ft.
- Applicants available to assist the grounds crew with mowing, weed whacking, and snow removal; capable of operation and basic maintenance on a variety of power-driven mechanical equipment including trucks, tractors, mowers, line trimmers, and chainsaws.
- Applicants must be able to interact well with site visitors and articulate the work being performed since this activity of historic masonry restoration is of great interest to many visitors.
- Applicants must be willing to assist in other Saratoga/Capital Region Parks and Sites when needed.
- Must have a valid NYS driver’s license and must maintain as a term and condition of employment.
- Applicants must be willing to keep up on all mandated safety trainings including First Aid and CPR/AED.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
21 Grandview Drive
Notes on ApplyingIt is the responsibility of each applicant to accurately describe their experience, and demonstrate that they meets the minimum qualifications. If you feel you meet the minimum qualifications and the Agency’s operating needs and are interested in being considered for this vacancy, you can obtain an Employment Application from your local park office, your region’s administrative headquarters, or by downloading an application from either the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website at https://parks.ny.gov/documents/employment/FillableUpdatedParksEmployeeApplicationS1000Part1.pdf, or via the agency’s internal intranet site.
You may also submit your application or resume to Lisa Polay, Crown Point State Historic Site, 21 Grandview Drive, Crown Point, New York 12928 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “PW3 Crown Point” in the subject line. If you have any questions concerning the position, please contact Ms. Polay at 518-597-3666. All qualified persons are invited and encouraged to apply.