50-52 Front Street
Minimum Qualifications 1. Must currently be a permanent Habilitation Specialist 1, grade 14:
2. Must be active and reachable on the current Civil Service Eligible List for Habilitation Specialist 1:
3. Qualified for a provisional* appointment to Habilitation Specialist 1.
Minimum qualifications for current New York State Employee:
A bachelor’s degree in a human services field and one-year permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service in a clinical or direct care position.
Minimum qualifications for outside applicant:
You must have a bachelor’s or higher- level degree in a human services field* AND one year of direct care or clinical experience where your primary focus is providing services to people with developmental disabilities.
Substitution: A master’s degree in a human services field* may be substituted for the degree and experience described above.
*For the purpose of these examinations, a degree in a human services field includes the professional disciplines of audiology, community mental health, nursing, nutrition, occupational therapy, physical therapy, psychology, rehabilitation counseling, social work, speech/language pathology, and therapeutic recreation (including concentrations in art, creative arts, dance, drama, music, or physical education.) Also included are related academic disciplines associated with the study of human behavior (e.g., gerontology, human services, sociology, speech communication); or human skills development (e.g., counseling, education, human development.) Examples of non-qualifying degrees include but are not limited to: criminal justice, political science, liberal arts, and business.
Valid unrestricted license to drive in New York State.
Duties Description 1. Develop program and plan activities for assigned groups.
2. Serve as instructor for assigned individuals.
3. Maintain all necessary records.
4. Interpret the individual’s needs into the individual program plan.
5. Assure smooth operation of daily program routines.
6. Monitor programs and revise as necessary.
7. Provide all needed documentation.
8. Transport individuals to community activities as needed.
9. Other duties to be discussed at time of interview and as assigned.
10. Personal care of individuals attending the day habilitation site may be required.
NOTE: Travel will be required.
Additional Comments Please reference the above EOA #21-135 in all correspondence.
• The assignment of PS&T employees will be made in accordance with the Memorandum of Understanding between PEF and Hudson Valley DDSO regarding the posting of job vacancies. Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• If you are employed by state government you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on Direct Loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments have been made under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice.
• Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and be able to perform the essential functions of their positions with or without reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that they need a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD Workforce and Talent Management Central Office at (518) 473-4785 or Email at: firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain information and RA forms.
• OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.