Minimum Qualifications • Bachelor's degree with emphasis in Business, Insurance or related field required
• 10 plus years’ experience in Workers’ Compensation Claims leadership preferred
• Demonstrated ability in the use of metrics and data to drive and assure continuous improvement and increased efficiencies required
Duties Description Reporting to the Acting Executive Director/Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Claims provides strategic direction and leadership for NYSIF’s Workers’ Compensation (WC) Claims function. As an Executive team member, this role will be key to developing and executing strategic plans to meet NYSIF’s business objectives. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manages all aspects of NYSIF’s WC Claim function through strategic direction and leadership that generates positive health outcomes for claimants, positive claim outcomes for policyholders and excellent service to our customers.
- Attracts, coaches and develops talent within the WC Claim function such that the objectives of the Claim organization are executed. Provides frequent and specific constructive feedback to staff. Provides technical advice, direction and mentoring to Claims staff.
- Provides strategic direction and leadership in the management of large, complex claims and litigation management. Collaborates with NYSIF legal, outside counsel and other resources when required to successfully execute these duties.
- Through the use of metrics and data, monitors and analyzes organizational performance. Drives change to assure continuous improvement and increased efficiencies. Identifies and implements strategies to improve return to work outcomes and management of medical expenses to optimize profitability.
- Assists in estimating the impact of actual and proposed changes in legislation and/or regulations impacting the payment of benefits to claimants or reimbursements to providers.
- Communicates claim developments/trends to Executive Director/CEO and senior management team. Provides claims expertise to the senior management team including, but not limited to, claim developments and trends within the Workers Compensation insurance industry.
- Works in a collaborative manner with Underwriting, Actuarial, and Analytics teams regarding claim issues, or trends, that may impact the business.
- Will oversee, and may participate in, claim reviews, or other valued added services applicable to individual accounts.
- Establishes and executes a quality control process to ensure established WC Claim practices and procedures are being executed at the highest level.
- Establishes and manages the claim department budget and resources including explaining variances and related reporting.
Additional Comments The selected candidate must be a New York State resident or be willing to relocate. Salary will be commensurate with experience. This position will be filled in either Albany or New York City.
Please note, the Civil Service title for this position is Deputy Director.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.