Minimum Qualifications Appointment method:
Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a title eligible for transfer via Sections 70.1 or 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. Information regarding transfer eligibility may be available on the Civil Service Career Mobility Office website at http://careermobilityoffice.cs.ny.gov/cmo/.
Please Note that under Civil Service Law, an employee cannot have two consecutive upward 70.1 or 52.6 transfers without an intervening eligible list appointment if such transfers would exceed two salary grades.
55 b/c Appointment: Candidates must meet the eligibility requirements of the Governor's Program to Hire Individuals and Veterans with Disabilities as described in Civil Service Law § 55b/c. Information about this program can be found here: https://www.cs.ny.gov/rp55/
Duties Description The Department of Financial Services (DFS) is seeking candidates for the position of Senior Attorney in the New York City office of the Office of General Counsel (Insurance). Under the direct supervision of a higher-level attorney, the Senior Attorney duties will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Conducts legal and legislative history research on insurance regulatory issues;
• Drafts responses to inquiries submitted by DFS staff, the insurance industry, other regulatory agencies, and the general public on insurance regulatory issues;
• Drafts insurance legislation, regulations, and circular letters;
• Provides legal advice on insurance regulatory issues to DFS staff;
• Attends and monitors National Association of Insurance Commissioner committee, task force, and working group meetings;
• Assists the Attorney General’s Office with representing DFS in litigation; and
• Other duties as assigned.
• Experience in government or insurance;
• Strong research and writing skills;
• Detail oriented;
• Familiarity with administrative law; and
• Litigation experience a plus.
Additional Comments Positions located within the New York City metropolitan area, as well as Suffolk, Nassau, Rockland, and Westchester Counties, are also eligible to receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than December 31, 2021 to the email address listed below. Please include the Box # (Box 2044/5) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
New York State Department of Financial Services
Office of Human Resources Management
One Commerce Plaza, Suite 301
Albany, NY 12257
Fax: (518) 402-5071
All candidates that apply may not be scheduled for an interview
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job. If the accommodation would constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency, the agency is not required to provide it.