Minimum Qualifications Appointment method:
This is an appointment to a position in the exempt jurisdictional class. As such, the incumbent of this position would serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority.
Duties Description The Department of Financial Services (DFS) is seeking applicants to fill a critical policy advisor position to advise the Superintendent, in coordination with Executive leadership, on setting the Department’s policy agenda. The Special Assistant to the Superintendent for Policy will oversee policy analysis projects, cross-agency initiatives, and will serve as the central coordinator for policy to ensure proper implementation. Other duties include, but are not limited to:
• Assists in drafting policy recommendations and contributes extensively to the analysis (and coordination of analysis) of such policy ideas in consideration of overall priorities and landscape;
• Directs and manages agency projects by conducting research, developing implementation strategies, providing oversight, implementing policies and procedures, and offering recommendations to program staff to resolve issues and ensure project timelines are met;
• Provides strategic direction for projects by developing short- and long-term project goals, and developing timelines for implementation;
• Performs research and analysis for the assigned program area; and prepares reports for use by executive management;
• Performs special studies to support the development and implementation of programs to move government forward;
• Coordinates with the leadership in Legislative Affairs;
• Develops and maintains partnerships with internal and external entities and meets with outside stakeholders to discuss program and projects;
• Serves as a consultant to executive management on projects and programs, and provides status updates to executive staff and other parties;
• Works on projects and initiatives as requested by the Superintendent and Executive staff; and
• May supervise staff or project teams.
• Masters or J.D; and
• At least five years of experience in policy development, advisory and analysis in the financial services sector.
Additional Comments Positions located within the New York City metropolitan area, as well as Suffolk, Nassau, Rockland, and Westchester Counties, are also eligible to receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than November 9, 2021, to the email address listed below. Please include the Box # (Box SA-Policy-00900) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
New York State Department of Financial Services
Office of Human Resources Management
One Commerce Plaza, Suite 301
Albany, NY 12257
Fax: (518) 402-5071
All candidates that apply may not be scheduled for an interview
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job. If the accommodation would constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency, the agency is not required to provide it.