Duties Description The New York State Senate is seeking applicants to fill the position of Associate Counsel for the Senate Majority Counsel’s Office. The incumbent, who reports directly to the Counsel and Deputy Counsel for the Democratic Conference, will be responsible for performing the following:
• Providing legal, policy and budget analysis, and central staff support, for the Senate Majority Conference on matters referred to the Senate standing committees.
• Tracking related legislation active in the state Assembly;
• Making oral presentations regarding relevant bills under consideration by the state Legislature;
• Drafting memoranda analyzing policy initiatives and state legislation;
• Preparing briefing materials in their respective standing committees for members of the Conference;
• Assisting Senators in preparation for public hearings, roundtable discussions, forums and other public meetings and events; and
• Networking with relevant advocacy and constituency groups.
Strong writing and oratory skills are required; legislative experience is preferred.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.