Minimum Qualifications Admission to the New York State Bar and five years of experience in administrative or environmental law.
This title is non-competitive. No examination is necessary. However, you must still meet the Minimum Qualifications of the position.
55-b/55-c Candidates must meet the minimum qualifications and include with their resume or application, a copy of the letter from Civil Service which indicates approval for the 55-b/55-c program.
Duties Description Environmental Impact Examiners are the Department’s Administrative Law Judges (ALJS).
Essential functions include:
• Conduct administrative adjudicatory enforcement and permit hearings.
• Conduct legislative and other public comment hearings, mediations, and other forms of alternative dispute resolution.
• Conduct factual and legal review of permit applications under and alleged violations of the Environmental Conservation Law (ECL) and other laws administered by the Department.
• Schedule and conduct pre-hearing conferences.
• Develop factual records, examine witnesses, rule on all motions and evidence.
• Analyze and evaluate complex technical, scientific, and legal matters.
• Prepare comprehensive hearing reports for the commissioner.
• Review and prepare draft final decisions and orders for the commissioner.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.