Minimum Qualifications Non-Competitive Qualifications
High School diploma and two years of experience in the design, repair, maintenance, operation, and calibration of sophisticated electrical and electronics equipment for scientific research or experiments for educational purposes.
Duties Description The Laboratory Equipment Designer Electronics assigned to the Bureau of Air Quality Surveillance’s Southern Monitoring Section will be responsible for maintaining the New York State air monitoring network in the southern part of the State (DEC Regions 1-3). The information collected at these monitoring sites is used on a daily basis to forecast the Air Quality Indexes (AQIs) for particulate and ozone concentrations in the State, which are generated to protect public health and alert sensitive individuals to local potential exposure issues. Typical tasks will include, but not be limited to:
• Design, fabrication, maintenance, and repair of air monitoring equipment.
• Field testing of new air monitoring equipment.
• Deployment and operation of air monitoring equipment for special studies.
• Operation and maintenance of air monitoring sites.
• Perform quality assurance at air monitoring stations.
• Effectively communicate issues to central office and other field staff.
• Able to evaluate, modify, design, fabricate, operate, and maintain various electromechanical devices and equipment.
• Capable of handling the standard tools of electricians.
• Must have excellent technical skills.
• Capable of loading and unloading vehicles.
• Able to operate a computer and possess knowledge of required technical computer programs.
• Able to write correspondence and reports in a coherent, organized manner.
• Must have good communication skills.
• Able to lift and carry heavy equipment.
• Comfortable in the use of ladders and scaffolding.
Additional Comments Must have a valid driver's license or demonstrate the ability to meet the transportation needs of the position. Must be able to work in adverse weather conditions. Travel, overtime, and overnight travel may be required. Must be able to lift and move objects up to 50 pounds.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.