Minimum Qualifications Preferred Skills:
• BA degree and 1-3 years of full-time, experience in communications, public relations, or journalism.
• Ability to manage multiple projects at once in a deadline driven environment.
• Ability to work quickly to meet demands in a dynamic, news cycle; work flexible hours.
• Ability to navigate last-minute assignment requests.
• Knowledge of New York State media market.
• Experience in building news media relationships.
• Ability to translate public policy and regulations into concise messages for the media and public.
This is an appointment to a position in the exempt jurisdictional class. As such, the incumbent of this position would serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority.
Duties Description The New York State Department of Financial Services (DFS) is seeking a Press Assistant to support the dynamic DFS external affairs and media operations in the office. Under the direction of the Director of Communications and Assistant Deputy Superintendent for External Affairs and Strategy, the Press Assistant will be responsible for supporting media strategies to generate news media coverage and public awareness of DFS’ activities and initiatives in New York. Duties will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Receives and monitors incoming media inquiries via phone and email from reporters, and works with the team to coordinate responses;
• Compiles and manages distribution of morning news clips regarding the Department and Superintendent;
• Monitors, and shares media and press coverage of DFS and the DFS Superintendent;
• Drafts, proofreads, and prepares press releases, opinion-editorials, blog posts, newsletters, briefing memos, internal announcements, and earned media plans;
• Maintains and develops accurate press lists and contacts;
• Assists in event coordination, including opening press events;
• Supports External Affairs and Strategy team special projects as needed;
• Assists with management of Department social media accounts; and
• Other duties as assigned.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than November 8, 2021, to the email address listed below. Please include (Box EA-CA-00124) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
New York State Department of Financial Services
Office of Human Resources Management
99 Washington Avenue, Suite 301
Albany, New York 12257
Fax: (518) 402-5071
Please note that not all applicants may be scheduled for an interview.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job and the accommodation would not constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency.