Minimum Qualifications A Bachelor’s degree and 10 years of field investigative or law enforcement investigative experience, three (3) years of which must have been in a supervisory role, with progressive management experience preferred. Investigative Experience is defined as gathering and securing information and evidence from a variety of sources through independent, non-structured activities including but not limited to the following: interviewing and interrogating witnesses; collecting and analyzing data and evidence; writing and summarizing case narratives; and testifying at administrative hearings or criminal proceedings. In addition, candidates must have served as a supervisor in an investigative unit and demonstrated the ability to effectively supervise multiple investigations in a variety of disciplines. Progressive management experience is defined as experience supervising multiple employees, with experience supervising lower level supervisors. Candidates should have experience managing field operations and the ability to work well with state, provider and law enforcement agencies. Preferred candidates will possess a JD or a Master’s degree.
Substitutions include: A Master's degree in a qualifying field may substitute for six (6) years of non-supervisory field investigative experience. A Juris Doctorate degree may substitute for seven (7) years of non-supervisory field investigative experience. Regardless of any substitution, all candidates must have at least three (3) years of supervisory field investigative experience or law enforcement investigative experience, with a preference for progressive management experience, including the supervision of multiple lower level supervisors.
NOTE: All candidates must reside in New York State at the time of appointment. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Duties Description The Assistant Chief of Investigations will perform the following duties:
• Provide daily leadership, coordination, and evaluation of the investigators in assigned region; manage and assist Supervising Investigators in carrying out their duties.
• Monitor investigative cycle time, quality, and caseload to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of field investigators.
• Provide training and leadership to investigators in the processes and techniques required in the performance of their duties.
• Coordinate the review of investigations and dispositions with the Office of the Special Prosecutor/Inspector General and County District Attorney offices.
• Serve as a point of contact for providers and stakeholders in the respective geographic region.
• Serve as a liaison and coordinate investigative activities with other state agencies and law enforcement officers from various agencies.
• Ensure confidentiality of information gathered during the investigative process is maintained.
• Assist in the development and implementation of training, policies, procedures and investigative strategies.
• Provide direction to staff on policies, procedures and investigative strategies.
Additional Comments The New York State Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs (Justice Center) is charged with protecting over one million New Yorkers under the care or jurisdiction of six state agencies. The following list outlines several of the Justice Center’s key responsibilities:
•Advocate on behalf of individuals with disabilities and provide oversight of quality of care.
•Operate a centralized, statewide 24-hour hotline and incident reporting system staffed by trained personnel.
•Operate a statewide register that contains the names of individuals found responsible for egregious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect.
•Centralize and perform functions relating to criminal history background checks.
•Investigate serious allegations of abuse and neglect.
•Prosecute criminal acts of abuse and neglect.
•Analyze abuse patterns and trends in order to prevent future occurrences.
NOTE: You are advised that should you accept a job offer with this agency, you may be required to be fingerprinted and pay for the cost of the fingerprinting fee.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics to email@example.com and indicate the Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.